November 2018 Weekend Rundown

Yep, yes they can.

We have a goodly number of ranchers and farmers in the N. NV area so these are conversations that I enjoy having.

The Ken Forkish Overnight Country Blonde recipe. If you do an internet search, you can find the directions.

We had a bit of a discussion about this on the Home Cooking thread (I think), but I, for the life of me, cannot get any dough to come out properly when I use “warm” water, as is recommended everywhere. Last year, I decided to use 75 deg (!!!) water(which still feels relatively cool, IMO), and my kitchen generally runs around 68-70 deg. 1st proof takes ~15 hrs, and 2nd proof takes ~5 hrs. My dough is never as ridiculously bubbly as what you see in some blogs, but the cooler water has made for the most reliably good loaves.

The higher temp results in an overly wet and slack dough that doesn’t shape well, doesn’t do a 2nd rise very well, and doesn’t get much oven spring.

There’s a YouTube video of Chad Robertson doing the final folding b/f shaping. Very helpful.

Getting the 2nd proof right has taken… years (I only bake a few times a year, so that could be why it’s taken so long for me), and I think I’m only now (as in earlier in the wk) starting to get a feel for it. For me, a dough that’s ready to bake should look “puffy” and have a sense of balance btw give and resistance when pushed (w/ WET fingers when using the dent test). And do the dent test in quite a few areas. If you feel any pockets of hardness, I think that means that the dough hasn’t fully aerated (so let it continue to proof).

And, as you always ready, DON’T RUSH THE FINAL PROOF!!!

I felt much better when I read on the Fresh Loaf that someone says that part of their proofing technique is praying. And when I read somewhere else that, once your starter is established, it’s almost impossible to kill. I leave my starter in the fridge for 4-6 wks (oops), and it only takes a few days of feeding now to revive it.

The pictured loaf was very good, BTW. The flatter loaf was fine, but the crust wasn’t as crisp and the crumb wasn’t as fluffy.

Thanks all for the compliments!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your advice . I am starting to tackle pizza dough , with a 70 % hydration . Proof times . Every little tweak makes a difference. Like when I used to make beer . Your bread looks great . Thanks again for the reference and your technique . I will start to make bread .

Would y’all be willing or interested in starting a thread on this subject? When you write something like “70% hydration” my eyes roll back in my head :slight_smile:

Simple . Time to learn . 350 grams of water divided into 500 grams of flour equals 0.7 . 70 % hydration rate . Now you know .

Not that I know of. It’s not common to use it here in HK either except for higher end establishments that have customers that are willing to pay more.

I thought that seemed uncommon, but I’m no expert. I would definitely be willing to pay more for pork from pen raised or free-ranging pigs and it doesn’t even have to be Iberico.

2 Likes

This is a brilliant idea considering the grilled Iberico at Raku is so delicious.

1 Like

Sushi Tsujita :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Friendly reminder: Fuck this was good. YW

And free parking in da back :shushing_face::shushing_face::shushing_face:

16 Likes

Santouka Ramen in Torrance Mitsuwa food court: salt ramen with pork cheek (toroniku shio ramen)

Hisaya Kyoto Chestnuts: I had the black sesame and candied chestnut soft serve “snowstorm.” My brother got the chestnut tiramisu and my mom a bag of freshly roasted chestnuts to-go (she got a snowstorm too :yum:)

Takeaway dinner and snacks from Mitsuwa Marketplace: monster sized crunchy roll (guilty pleasure), pickles, and a pack of dried persimmons

12 Likes

Fat ass 21’s to end to meal

1 Like

Did you get this

1 Like

Yup. Mille-feuille was one of my choices!

1 Like

that Mille-feuille looks insane.

I hate when I enter sweetgreen into waze and it re-routes me to in-n-out instead.

15 Likes

One of the best I’ve had outside of France.

1 Like

Well they don’t call it Waze… as in lets find new WAZE to kill me

1 Like

Made it to konbi for their layered egg omelette, Dashi, kewpie and Dijon (dashimaki tamagoyaki) with bub and grandmas milk bread.

They make it just like in streets of japan but with smaller cast iron pan, layering layers of beatened egg at a time. It’s an umami bomb because of the Dashi—absolutely delicious as I ate it, but felt I had to drink a gallon on water afterwards.

4 Likes

Did someone say sabazushi? @J_L @PorkyBelly @Chowseeker1999 @BradFord @beefnoguy

This one had bits of pickled ginger embedded for texture contrast and acidity enhancement to counter the fatty saba which was torched to release its aroma and oil.

4 Likes