November 2018 Weekend Rundown

Isn’t it customary to tell fellow FTC’ers where you found such a creature?

3 Likes

My apologies! It’s from Tenku Ryugin in Hong Kong. I was asked to wrap the separately served toasted seaweed around the sabazushi myself to maximize crispiness. I have to say that I prefer this rendition over Hayato’s!

2 Likes

Chubby Rice (Hawthorne)
Was in the neighborhood but didn’t have time to hit up Jame Enoteca. Settled for this instead because it was fast and freeway adjacent.
Hot & Sour soup - I rather enjoyed it. It tasted like a fresh version that you usually find at Chinese joints.

Salt & pepper pork chop, egg fried rice, and their famous pork and vegetable egg roll - I think I like the pork chop in a sandwich instead. It seemed less satisfying on a plate, and I would have preferred the lap cheong fried rice instead of the egg fried rice. Apparently, too many vegetarians complained and they changed their menu. You can still order it in a large format entree version. We got it anyway because I wanted it.

Also ordered (but not pictured): General Tso’s beef and Mongolian Beef. The aji sauce is amazing with the rice. Great quick lunch. The family who owns and runs this place and their employees are so sweet.

7 Likes

…but still, the photo looks yummy.

1 Like

Gorgeous.

Don’t get me wrong. it was still delicious. Just not as satisfying.
Side note: The husband ate the Mongolian beef for dinner later in the day, and said the beef was super tender and delicious.

1 Like

Dutch Baby, Original Pancake House

6 Likes

I’ve always wanted to make one of those.

Easy to make and I’m sure you have all of the ingredients on hand. I have some of the small Lodge pans- makes for a cute presentation.

I love the Dutch Baby from Original Pancake House! I can never manage to finish it.

1 Like

SIMPANG ASIA (PALMS?)
omg how I have never been here before?? What a neighborhood gem. Had the Roti Paratha, Kroket, Mie Tek Tek and Nasi Goreng Jawa. Everything was fun and fantastic. Excited to go back and try more.

PINCHES TACOS (CULVER)
This is always a nice standby to have. Good to satisfy a craving when you’re in the neighborhood. Their horchata is one of my favorites. Although, in the back of my mind, I’m always wishing I would have just driven a bit farther to Anaya…

GUERRILLA TACOS (DTLA)
First time at the new joint, had a grand ole time. The special beef rojo taco was great. Also had some bites of the seasonal butternut squash taco, which was also excellent - loved the candied pecans. The sunchoke fondue was a load of fun-due. Solid Brown Is Beautiful cocktail, too!

Then…

BESTIA (DTLA)
Always a good time. Didn’t have a reservation, but only had a 30min wait for two bar seats. And after tacos, only needed a couple pastas, so it was nice to get out of there without spending the nest egg.

Would also recommend walking around the Arts District. Some fun (and free!) exhibits going on…

7 Likes

one thing that is awesome at Guerilla taocs is $10 cocktails!

2 Likes

Simpang is an awesome indo joint. Try their beef rendang, festival rice, any of their nasi rice dishes, or morning glory. You really can’t go wrong there.

2 Likes

AMEN

Awesome. Thanks for the recommendations!

QQ Kopitiam

Char Kway Teow

A little cheap with the proteins (Chinese sausage, and shrimp). The table side sambal really brings out this dish.

Laksa

I need more aromatics and chiles when it comes to coconut curry, as I believe coconut can really overpower and it becomes one note.

The workers, college age guy and girl, although very nice were very very awkward lol. Probably the most weird encounter at a restaurant. They left and I heard an umistakenable Singapore accent from an older Uncle.

It was just okay la

3 Likes

Zait and Zaatar

Schwarma plate. Maybe my taste buds are just not that great for ME/Med food. I though it was okay. Nothing really mind blowing.

Speaking of Simpang I like their char kway teow, but again most places in LA/OC are lacking in the wok breath. It would be nice to get the egg with runny yolk too.

Char Kway Teow

Simpang
QQ Kopitiam
Seasons Kitchen
Uncle Fung…haven’t been yet
Belacan…haven’t been yet

I’m with you but I never got the impression that runny yolks were traditional in SE Asian cuisine. Seems almost the opposite a lot of the time. Especially boiled eggs - yolks that are blue, gray and green.

2 Likes

That was a thousand years ago. :wink:

2 Likes

Is it wrong that I don’t mind those blue-gray egg yolks so long as they’ve been sitting in the Vietnamese thit kho braising liquid for a couple of days? The flavor they take in is heaven. That’s a childhood memory. Maybe this should be an FTC Confession.

1 Like