October 2016 Weekend Rundown

i bet if you ask them if they want to drive to dtla, park and eat at otium many would say “no thanks” too.

1 Like

Most of the time, but they still go to DTLA for places like Otium from time to time whereas they go to West Adams approximately never.

But this point speaks to the isolation that most people go through. Most people don’t even bother eating outside of their neighborhood.

1 Like

Well… depends who’s paying. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Maybe uncomfortable, but I’ve lived in WeHo for 5 years… sounds completely correct to me. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone in WeHo that I could convince to go get huevos rancheros at Los Anaya. I did convince someone to go to Leo’s in the middle of the night once though.

Sorry - I came across wrong. I was agreeing with you too.

This whole class issue thing is whatever one wants to make of it. The “OP” just likes to try to rattle everyone’s chain with stark wording.

My dear late mom worked for a company owned by a very wealthy man. While he learned to enjoy the truly fine things in life, this man was extremely grounded as he came from very humble roots.

Wanting to share the finer things in life with his employees, he shared a fair amount of his wealth with them. Extravagant parties, chauffeured antique limos to these parties, major bonuses to hourly employees,f ree medical, free dental from the staff dentist, 25 cent gourmet lunches, free high-end food for siestas, and on and on. And whether it was at parties or work meals, he always sat with the hourlies. He truly enjoyed spending time with his employees.

This gentleman gave and gave, and kept in touch with any and all in his “extended family,” right up to his passing. I guess my point is that if most well-to-dos feel the need to isolate themselves or look down on “the little people,” some don’t, and in fact some actually embrace them with empathy, respect and love.

8 Likes

single funniest thing ever written.

2 Likes

I know, thinking anyone would want to have a discussion, and articulate opposing viewpoints on this forum lmao

1 Like

That is actually true, sometimes the very wealth intermingle. It’s really more the upper middle class that is insecure in their wealth status and wants to keep up appearances that tend to draw sharper boundaries. It helps if they come from humble roots though.

Very true. If people read between his lines they’ll find some truths. But when they read terms like “lower-class” and “ghettos” it sends them over the edge.

Your mom’s boss sounds wonderful. I thought those type of people were only in movies. One of my bosses is semi-generous. The other one thinks I’m reckless for wanting to pay our maintenance crew more than minimum wage :smirk:. I have to sneak them cash bonus’ so they don’t quit on me. But I can’t really complain. They’re both sweet people… And they live thousands of miles away :smile:!

As usual bulavinaka, great story!

2 Likes

[quote=“Aesthete, post:71, topic:4358”]
It helps if they come from humble roots though.
[/quote]Not always. I have a friend who has money, but grew up poor. She treats the so-called little people pretty bad. She’s really a pain in the ass at restaurants and hotels. I often wonder if she thinks she’s mimicking how the rich act. Which in my experience she is incorrect. Most of the old-money types may be careless, but they’re very polite to staff.

2 Likes

[quote=“Aesthete, post:59, topic:4358”]
Most people do not expose themselves to different types of food. And most people in LA wouldn’t drive 20-30 min each way into south central for a Torta. Hell I can’t even get my middle class friends to drive from WeHo to Thai town most nights…
[/quote]Yes. I have friends who live in BH. They joke that they never go east of Robertson. Borrring!

[quote=“Aesthete, post:59, topic:4358”]
Most people eat a narrow range of things they enjoy that are easily available goong by all the people I’ve ever met all over. The members of this forum seem to have an aversion to thinking they are special but they fall well outside of dining norms as far as I can tell.
[/quote]I’m starting to realize this is true. The more I learn about food, cooking and dining the more I realize how most people around me don’t know or care about such things.

1 Like

[quote=“Aesthete, post:57, topic:4358”]
The wealthy eating at home you are right about. It’s more upper middle class people needing to be in the right sorts of places. Though believe it or not even the wealthy do dine out sometimes
[/quote]There you go again with one of those infuriating statements. But again, there is some kernel of truth. I have a older family friend who lives insulated in his original neoclassical house way up in BH (pool, tennis courts, blah blah). Everything and everyone comes to him. He jokes that his butler has more fun in his cars than he does. But, one time I ran into him coming out of The Palm in Weho with two of his “nieces”. I was so shocked I could hardly speak. He probably thought I was having a seizure.

1 Like

I know some posters are rolling their eyes about how far off-topic this has gotten. But pooh… It’s a fun one.

Guilty.
To me this is an asinine discussion.
But feel free to carry on.

2 Likes

Well, since you put it that way…

Some posters are probably thanking you right now.

I agree that it is infuriating. It is infuriating because it’s mostly true.

Juanitas III (Ontario)
These nachos are $9.50. The tortillas are made fresh daily and are cut and fried into chips. They slather on a generous helping of beans, cheese, pico de gallo, avocado crema, sour cream, olives, cilantro, and your choice of carne asada, carnitas, chicken, pork chile verde (my favorite), pork chile rojo. The box feels 5 lbs heavy. Get lots of their house made hot sauce. Pour it all over. Tastes like someone’s grandma made it for you. I don’t even live in the area anymore, but when I want nachos, these are what I crave.

6 Likes

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

#First lunch - Sushi of gari
not sushi

Chopped Fatty Tuna with Pickled Radish

Botan Ebi - sweet shrimp

Marinated Fresh Lobster with Mojio Sea Salt

Tuna with Creamy Tofu Puree

Fresh Salmon with Sauteed Tomato & Sweet Onion Sauce

bafun hokkaido uni

Hotate - scallop

Seared Albacore with Miso & Garlic

Tuna Grated Daikon Radish with Ponzu Sauce

Foie Gras with Pear Compote

Chopped Crunchy Eel with Sliced Avocado

Sea bass

Yellowtail with Jalapeno Sauce

Red Snapper with Micro Greens, Roasted Pine Nuts, Bean Sprouts, Fried Lotus Root, and hint of Wasabi Olive Oil #salad

unagi

spicy scallop roll

Chopped Crunchy Eel with Avocado Roll

Tuna and Salmon roll

tamago

Toto S350e

#Second lunch - Cento Pasta Bar / Andare @ Birch

Chicken Liver Crostino - jidori chicken liver, aged balsamic, golden raisin argo dolce

Fagiolini, porcini, truffle, sausage, hen of the woods, grana padano

10 Likes