October 2019 Rundown

Pao’s Pastries & Cafe, Van Nuys.

Without leaving Los Angeles County, you will not come across another place to satisfy your cravings for Bolivian baked goods, coffee, and some platos fuertes other than Pao’s Pastries in Van Nuys. Snuggled into the back of a building that faces busy Van Nuys Blvd on its other side, this Friar Street storefront hides away from the main thoroughfare. Despite this, Bolivians in the area all seem to know where to find it, as many came and went during the hour observed on a recent Sunday morning.

Being the most populous neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley, you can find a lot of the world in Van Nuys, from East African homes opened up as community feeding centers to evening pupusa stands and Tijuana-style taco vendors to South African sports bars and Syrian kebab shops. More on the rest of these later, but for now a little slice of the Andes and the rich tradition of Bolivia.

Pao’s is a tiny shop that packs in the most it can. Handcrafted souvenirs share precious counter space with stacks of cookies and pastries packaged to go. All the small commodities from back home that people might miss have a good chance of ending up here, whether that is a container of alfajores or fresh and hot cheese empanadas known as pukacapas.

Main courses like silpancho (not shown) invoke the cuisine of Cochabamba, well known in Bolivia for having some of the best foods and the most fertile lands in the country. For these reasons, Cochabamba’s two nicknames are “City of Eternal Spring” and “The Garden City.” Much of Bolivia is in harsh lowland-jungle regions of the north and east or high, arid altiplano (plateau) regions of the south and west. A small stretch of land in between these two is home to Cochabamba, a place with a high level of pride.

Wanting to try as much as possible for breakfast, a variety plate was put together including (from back to front) a pukacapa ($1.95), rollo de queso ($1), and two alfajores ($1 each) to add a little sweetness.

Any Bolivian feast begins with multiple salteñas ($3.15 each, below), possibly the most famous food outside the country but beloved by Bolivians just the same. The country’s version of an empanada is almost a work of art, dough wrapped carefully around a juicy meat center that must be eaten with caution to prevent a mess and the molten hot filling from burning your entire face.

The meats (the two above are chicken and beef, differentiated by a few sesame seed sprinkles) are first slow cooked and then frozen. Once wrapped with the slightly sweet shell, they are put in the oven and baked at just the right temperature and duration so that the inside melts but does not boil and cause the skin to burst.

Just as the most popular vendors back home might sell out well before noon, come here on the wrong day and you might find the restaurant out of salteñas as well.

It often is fascinating what foods do and do not catch on in the realm of popularity. Some world foods go through phases of being sought after by the wandering mobs of followers, while others remain obscure except in their communities. Salteñas have that feeling like they could someday be the “next big thing” when white people decide they are, ready to be gentrified and exploited by folks that capitalism privileges.

To enjoy them in their natural environment, baked by experts, don’t wait for this to happen and come to Pao’s in Van Nuys.

13 Likes

Awesome find. What pastries did you enjoy most?

Thanks for such a great review! So much thoughtful context.

1 Like

The cheese roll in the middle was delicious but it was obviously a day old unfortunately. I would be really happy to try that fresh from the oven. The salteñas are are absolutely essential to any visit.

1 Like

I’m Bolivian from my dad’s side of the family thanks for posting! It’s been rough with the small number of Bolivian restaurants opening and closing over the years.

I think Saltenas are the XLB of the empanada world. They are made with usually braised meat (not ground beef) made with enough gelatin that it sets up cold and turns back into soup when baked or fried often they will have whole olives and hard boiled egg inside as well -I look forward to trying Pao’s version. Usually any family gathering will featured multiple dozens!

4 Likes

West side Japanese kind of day

Tsujita dip ramen for lunch. Was told to try getting the soup extra hot by my friend. Apparently they bring you all the meat and menma on the side with a larger portion will have to try next time.

Hannosuke tendon one of my fav cheap meals in the in the city, shrimp, white fish, and veggie tempura soaked in their signature sauce making it slightly crunchy slightly mushy (in a good way) with sweet smoky soy soaked in rice and a perfect runny fried egg to boot

11 Likes

Salt-N-Straw at Disney (yay I got a annual pass). Sightglass Coffee (SF) Ice Cream. No Bourbon and Coffee???

Chicago Dog at Portillo’s (should have got 2!). Drive thru open until midnight.

4 Likes

I found out the hard way that some of the classic flavors are specific to a location. The James bourbon and coffee is only at the LA locations.

A special at Ponchos Tlayudas at Smorgasburg this past weekend, Lamb Barbacoa

6 Likes

Had this past Monday off and went to Konbi. Long line to dine-in but I always order from the to-go window.

Egg salad sandwich was good. Also got the hazelnut financier which I liked- it tasted like actual hazelnuts and not Nutella.

They had custard tarts on the menu but were unfortunately all out when I went (11 am).

12 Likes

MichexGod, Sylmar.

The lofty name MichexGod is something to live up to, but when you see your michelada topped with botanas next to that brown-bagged tallboy, it is pretty close to heaven. In the beginning the mix is quite strong and perfect, mellowing out as you top it off with beer refills.

The botana itself is deceptively large, a good amount of food, but as you get close to the bottom and continue to enjoy the camaraderie here on Bledsoe Street, other offerings like tostadas and tacos start to sound very tempting. After all, leaving just gets you back to real life faster.

The weather has chilled out a bit lately but an October heat wave seems to be in the forecast with days getting over 30 degrees celsius. These are the perfect conditions to go introduce yourself to the gods.

8 Likes

Three shrimp tacos from Mariscos Jalisco brick and mortar in Pomona. Still perfect.

Grilled broccolini, spicy fusilli, and linguini & clams at Jon and Vinny’s Brentwood.

8 Likes

PSA: First street pho stall in LA??

Haven’t tried it, but this is so crazy and so LA, it’s gotta work. Plastic stools and sandals and all. Looks like limited hours when the Chase bank in Highland Park is closed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3uK_wph9qA/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3rmhrGhnVN/

10 Likes

Looks interesting! But it needs about 20 motorbikes parked on the sidewalk, blocking your path :laughing:

9 Likes

real bowls/utensils and no sink, goddamn that’s authentic

Plastic stools aren’t calf-height #notauthentic

6 Likes

you gotta be asian-squatting and sitting at the same time. that is the correct height for the stool.

3 Likes

Nice, seems like you can also ask for nuoc beo to give that broth a huge boost via old school fatty aroma flavor and thickness. Wonder if they do nuoc beo hanh giam?

1 Like

The Wok Bird sandwich from Rockbird in Glendale. Pretty damn fantastic. Crispy outside, juicy inside. I wish they used thigh instead of breast meat though.

2 Likes

Lou The French on The Block (Burbank)
Grabbed a pan bagnat for a quick lunch today…I wanted to try the other options, but I really enjoy the tuna pate with hard-boiled eggs. While I was there, I also picked up an assortment of croissants for my parents, but I also spied napoleons sitting in the case with the eclairs. Apparently, the chef only makes napoleons once or twice a year. While the pan bagnat remains a great lunch for someone who skipped breakfast, the napoleon is not to be missed @ns1 and @Chowseeker1999.
The puff pastry is made with French butter so there’s an additional level of savoriness that normally isn’t there. Sandwiched between layers of the fantastic puff pastry is the delightful pastry cream that’s used for the eclairs. I love that it was constructed and executed so well that the bottom layer of puff was still crisp. So if you see the napoleon sitting in the case when you visit, make sure you get one because who knows when the chef will decide to make it, again.

4 Likes