October 2019 Rundown

Thank you , @TheCookie for thinking of me :blush: !

I do like gravlax. So I will DEFINITELY keep this place in mind!!!

For me, because I’m a finicky prick (lol) looking for a certain taste, that Jewish deli taste, it doesn’t scratch my belly lox itch. The thing about gravlax that throws it off for me is the strong dill taste. Though I do still like the stuff… a lot. So you can be sure I will get some of this :slight_smile:

Sounds like Gjusta may be my only hope.

1 Like

Yah, the Belly Lox was almost impossible to find. Seems like Gjusta is the ticket. Too bad they’re not close to me for that weekend fix. FWIW I’m not a big dill fan either and it didn’t bother me at all. The whole thing was mild w/delicately, rich belly fat.

And if I’m not mistaken the farm-raised is so it doesn’t have to be previously frozen. I’ve been getting a lot of fish at the Farmers Market lately. Along with the fish comes some good intel by the lady fishmonger. She says with good farms flash freezing isn’t as necessary as with wild because they know their environment and what they’re eating.

1 Like

“Wife” noodles, from Lao Xi’er Noodle House (Arcadia)… Basically this is the “Best of” compilation of all the great sauces in the restaurant, all in one bowl. Dee-fricking-licious.

Scallop handroll, from The Hand Roll Bar Experience (Downtown L.A.)… Yes, as the new kid on the hand roll block, HRB will inevitably draw KazuNori comparisons. While I liked the freshness of the seafood here, the almost complete lack of crispness on the nori and the subpar rice ruined the roll for me. Also, the unannounced spice level in my bay scallops was not a pleasant surprise.

Upside at HRB is that you have more options than at KazuNori, such as getting to order uni nigiri. My uni was great.

Shunji’s special matsutake tempura preparation. Served with simple mountain salt, this is autumn on a plate. Superb.

10 Likes

Btw Gjusta had hot smoked salmon bellies last time I was there. Didn’t try them but looked really nice

3 Likes

I had them. Really delicious. I think @Gr8pimpin is on the lookout for cured-only not smoked.

2 Likes

stepping up your photog game!

1 Like

The batter/panko of that matsutake reminds me of that deep fried reconstructed oyster (kaki fry) meatloaf we had two months ago and this also looks a little karaage like in color. Must be explosively good, I’m even imaging the pairing of that matsutake with the 2nd Tatsuriki Kimoto Junmai from that night and how awesome this would be!! Love Shunji san’s amazing creativity in what he does!

3 Likes

Yep, looking for a bagel buddy :slight_smile:

But I do like all things salmon. Just trying to find this one hard to find item.

I appreciate all of the guidance from ALL of you!

2 Likes

Last meal of October
Gdinner - my first dinner gvisit.
It really is so nice there at dinner (as others have said)

The chicken was just divine - beautiful pan fried breast (de-boned except the drumette) stuffed with a little cheese and ham, served with a zingy sauce of lemon caper and arugula salad.
Sorry - the pictures are kind of crappy.

11 Likes

Wow! I’ve seen Gdinners referenced on FTC but couldn’t find anything online. Are they on special nights?

Available everyday after 5.

1 Like

every night after 5 before 10

1 Like

Okay, nice. I’ve seen references to how nice the atmosphere is at night. It seemed like a special thing because it’s normally a madhouse. Anyway your dinner looks great.

Don’t get me wrong.
The atmosphere, by almost any other standard, absolutely stinks.
There are few scattered indoor tables (that even a lottery winner would consider him or herself quite lucky to score); some very uncomfortable bar or outdoor seats; no servers, just deliver-ers; horrid lighting; poor temperature control; and, entry through one of LA’s worst homeless camps
It’s only “nice” compared to Gjusta-by-day.

3 Likes

Haven’t been at night recently but they really cleaned up the homeless encampment. The last 3 or 4 times I’ve been during the day that hadn’t been an issue at all

Last night the tents were packed flap-to-flap on both sides of 3rd ave.

All i call say is i haven’t seen any on Sunset ave in over a month or so. There used to be quite a few directly accross the street. That is no longer the case afaik

1 Like

If sit at the bar and make nice with the drink pourers they’ll usually let you order with them.

1 Like

The patio is nice! Especially on warm evenings. It’s picnic tables and plants and little lights. It reminds me of Greece or Spain. Not fancy, but fun with friends.

2 Likes

Good to know, bw.