October 2019 Rundown

Agreed. I think it’s also quite romantic.

Finally made it to Dear John’s last night. No pics b/c it’s dark as hell in there. Sat at the bar, which was comfortable. Delicious. We had the bougie tater tots + cavier and roe; lobster thermidor; and the Frank’s spaghetti and clams. Hint of salinity from the cavier and roe (the latter of which was quite sweet!) was great.

Lobster was perfectly cooked and not overly creamy. Spaghetti was whatever (never had a red sauce w/ clams; enjoyed the breadcrumbs), but the clams were excellent (and abundant).

Dessert was the hazelnut crumble + coffee (?) ice cream + chocolate ganache. That thing was SO rich that it could easily be split among 4 people.

Partner loved his mixed drink, although I cannot for the life of my remember what it was.

Great atmosphere, fantastic service (waitstaff are in tuxedos), and even my lowly soda was served in crystal. What a fun place. It’s pricey, but you get what you pay for.

8 Likes

Here at the moment. Can confirm the boulevardier is excellent

3 Likes

Partner had the Bergen County!

Hope you enjoy your dinner!!!

1 Like

Would one be a pig if they took that dessert down by themselves? Asking for a friend.

German potatoes here are better than Peter Luger’s (though that’s apparently not saying much these days)…

Do the chocolate dessert. It rules.

Argh! Didn’t see this until now since I don’t use alert.

You’d only be a big if you did dessert + the 16 oz steak (I was SO jealous when I saw the meat our neighbors were eating)…

What did you end up getting??? :slight_smile:

I was by myself at the bar. So i had the tratare with the fried raw egg yolk and everything seasoning ctackers! Which was pretty good and the fries which i liked but not as much as charcoal. Definitely a place to go with more people.

Picture doesn’t do it justice really

4 Likes

@Helper_Monkey - I already tried the crispy rice salad (with sausage) on my first visit. Didn’t order it this time ‘cuz I was ordering with leftovers in mind.

1 Like

LA Taco just covered Pho King Ngoc:

Interesting distinction about simmering the broth low (like a consomme) rather than at high heat (like tonkotsu). I don’t know that would make it inherently better broth but I’m certainly willing to try it once.

1 Like

Yes, I turned Javier onto them so glad he got to try it and write about them. That description of the cooking process is correct…hard boiling of the bones will result in cloudier broth—with tonkotsu broth being the extreme example. Long boiling will emulsify the fat globules which is why we put it on very low simmer overnight.

3 Likes

“Aroma oil” is not an invention by them it’s by request from just about every pho restaurant

Hmmm I might make it out this Sunday to give them a try…

That description of the cooking process is correct

I should definitely mention that I’m not against a low temp approach to making broth. I think I’m a little reactive to all the French-focused books I read when first learning how to cook that said all stocks MUST be cooked low with a raft for clarification and no other techniques were even mentioned.

I certainly appreciate the level of thought and care Ngoc clearly puts into the product- I’m looking forward to trying it!

It’s solidified nuoc beo, ie the fat skimmed from the top of the broth that he’s put in squirt bottles. So in a way, that’s different

1 Like

I get where you’re coming from. Things the French brought over have been adapted by viet cooks to suit their situation. The way they make viet banh mi for example, is so different than traditional French baguette (and no, there is no rice flour) even though the ingredients are essentially the same.

2 Likes

One hour wait today!

Pho King Ngoc is a street side stall currently located at Fig x Ave 57. For parking try the lot behind Antigua, and bring your quarters (wtf LA I thought Sunday was free?)

So I live close to Little Saigon and I had to drive past El Monte just to get here. So how was the Pho?

Aroma…smells so good with the spice scents dancing around the immediate area and when the bowl is in your face.

Broth…this is Southern style and I thought it was incredibly balanced and flavorful on its own. I would hold the limes, chilli sauce, and hoisin in the broth.

Meat/toppings…there is basil, scallion, cilantro, and slightly vinegared onion. At table side you have 3 Crab Fish Sauce, Hoisin, Chilli Sauce, and as @hppzz indicated above a solid form of Ngoc Beo(the fatty stuff on top of the broth). The beef is fine. You can get just rare, just brisket, or both.

Protip: Use the spoon for your chilli sauce/hoisin dip for your meat.

Protip: NO on the limes and onions, this will change your broth too much. If you choose to add use very very little.

It is a pretty damn good bowl of pho. I appreciate the short hours of operation to keep the consistency and integrity of the broth. Would I go again? As of now out of convenience, probably no. I have Pho Akaushi and Pho 79 near me. But I am happy to support this Mom-N-Pop. I wish them the best!

Edit: I really like the noodles they used it had a nice chew to them

COME EARLY

11 Likes

Thanks for the report @JeetKuneBao. Since it’s a street side stall, there’s no running water right? Did you see how they might’ve cleaned the bowls and utensils you’re eating with? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

There is no dishwashing on site, they have ALOT of bowls and chopsticks

1 Like

I went today also. I’m no expert in pho but it was probably the best bowl I’ve ever had.

My girlfriend really liked it to.

The more aroma oil I used the better it was also! It was so good

2 Likes

The aroma oil was nice!

Also this pho stand might be one of the few using “Pho King” but I think it’s not meant as something you do between 2 people on a bed because after Pho King is the owners name Ngoc so I think it’s more like Pho King as in royalty or the best sorry but not sorry all my past English teachers