October 2020 Rundown

Happy October! I’ll start the fun with some Lady M mooncakes I got as a gift - Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!

18 Likes

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival! Mooncakes by Ayara Thai and the talented pastry chef Cathy from Providence.

Mooncakes in no particular order:

• lotus seed paste with double salted quail egg yolk
  • red bean
  • durian
  • pumpkin with pumpkin seeds
  • taro
  • valrhona 66% dark chocolate

18 Likes

The moon cakes look lovely…and rather tiny. When did they start putting quail egg yolks in moon cakes? And are they as tasty as duck egg yolks?

1 Like

moonboycakes look nice, but overall the tiny/thin mooncake trend offends my old school sensibiliities - they tryin’ to cheat us customers by givin’ us less! ;-D
#BuyDoorstopSizedMooncakes #BetterYetBuyThemTheDayAfterFestival #ThenYouSaveADollar

5 Likes

I too prefer that mooncakes be larger and thicker #dealz. But I do like that these mooncakes offer a variety of unique flavors. The fillings are especially moist, much smoother, and less sweet which I prefer compared to the commercial ones I typically get like Mei-Xin or Kee Wah.

As for the quail egg yolks in these mooncakes, they’re more mild than duck egg yolks in terms of flavor but a lot creamier and aren’t hard and crumbly.

1 Like

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but since it’s opening in October I will be trying this since it’s on my way to/from work. I’m a little embarrassed to say I haven’t had them before.

7 Likes

Wow. Thanks for the heads up!

The only thing that prevents me from eating more of their lovely burritos is distance. But now that they’re in Boyle Heights, I’ll work them into my regular rotation.

It’s now perfect for a La Unica, Marisco Jalisco, and Burritos La Palma bang.

4 Likes

These days, Unica is crazy long ordering and pick up lines. A couple weeks ago i had to settle for El Ruso because Unica was super busy. This was a Sunday around noon so maybe a different time is less crowded?

1 Like

Thanks for the pro tip. El Ruso’s tortillas still holding up?

OMG! This makes me so happy too! I miss being able to pick them up at the Fields! Now it’s a great pick up when we head to Ramirez!

1 Like

I find El Ruso to be ordinary compared to the flour tortilla and taco heavy hitters around town. The carne asada and chorizo are good, I just don’t crave their food like other places. If you get the chile Colorado, the tortillas get super soggy in the sauce, other meats seem fine but lose their texture.

I liked Loqui flour tortillas a lot, their meat was okay, the mushroom taco was by far my favorite.

La Palma plato Especiale is my jam, I crave that meal all the time, especially when the sauce they drown the burritos in mixes with their refried beans. Just typing this out is making me want to grab one.

6 Likes

I love El Ruso but definitely steer towards the dryer applications like the carne asada as their tortillas dont have the rigidity to hold up to the guisados style for sure. I enjoy sonoratowns asada, felt like it had a bit more punch to it but prefer el ruso’s tortilla fwiw.

1 Like

Went ol’ skool with the Kee Wah mooncakes as we viewed the full harvest moon last night. Now the race is on to buy the hugely discounted mooncakes today. #WillNotBeBumpingIntoIpseThere

11 Likes

I very much enjoy El Ruso’s supple and pliant flour tortillas too.

1 Like

Haven’t had any of those (and am not a huge burrito eater), but I just tried the barbacoa burrito from All Day Baby (yes, @attran99, I finally made it out there!) yesterday (no pic b/c I was stuffing my face), and it was quite good.

Our first trip to ADB was this weekend, and partner liked it so much that he went back yesterday. Fried chick sandwich w/ biscuits was good (nice crunch on the chik), but there were NO condiments on the sandwich, which I thought was very weird. Fried fish sandwich was good the first time but was also strangely lacking in some condiments the second time.

Lone biscuit on the weekend was SO salty (and I love salt) but was much better balanced yesterday.

4 Likes

Thanks! I just tried Burritos La Palma last weekend and am so sad I hadn’t made the effort before then. They were excellent and the salsa was awesome. One word of advice…order at least 3 per person. I had heard they were small but I had no idea how small. They are only a little bigger than a regular-sized taco.

5 Likes

So glad you made it!
I wish you could have tried their cheddar bacon scone with a pepper glaze…they’ve since stopped making it when they pared down their menu.
Sorry to hear about the inconsistencies you found. I’ve not found that in all of my visits.
If you happen to visit, again, the sangria is a great beverage to try…especially on hot days. And it’s not terribly boozy, so it may be up your alley.

1 Like

mariscos jaliscos la cienega & Kiriko premium lunch set

11 Likes

I struggle between 2-3 as the right burrito order size at BLP. Regardless of how many I end up ordering I instantly regret it.

3 Likes

Hah! My only regrets are the things I didn’t do or haven’t eaten!

1 Like