October 2020 Rundown

Average tacos in that class but better than typical street tacos. Horrible ordering system that generally leaves tacos cold if you like more than 1 meat.

Never been to tire shop but I prefer Mexicali and 1986 over TEG. The only time I go to TEG is when I’m desperate and in Las Vegas where they have a few locations which are pretty much identical to SD

2 Likes

Never got to try Sonoratown except at Taco Festival, I thought the asada was pretty good (not bad for mass cooking for what a few hundred people at Olvera) It seems like the chivichanga is the move.

You gotta try the Tostada Negra at Mariscos Tocho my friend. The Salsa Negra might be the best salsa in LA and I ever had (shout out to Salsa Aceite at La Unica)

1 Like

So TEL in Vegas = TEL in OG SD = average?

For tacos only, I would rate it something like:

1986 > Mexicali > TEG > King Taco > Tacos Mexico

Have not been to TST

You could definitely do a lot worse than TEG but it’s definitely NOT drive worthy for me.

2 Likes

TEG in Tijuana was way better and the scaling up in size for San Diego didn’t add to the quality.

1 Like

Zacatecas

in Hawthorne for parking lot dining.

Carnitas
substituted rice and beans for vegetables

Grilled Shrimp

On a side note, what do you think of this name for a restaurant:

“Christopher Oaxacan“

11 Likes

Only if we get a Ranchera cover of Christopher Walking on the soundtrack.

1 Like

Burgers Never Say Die

Love that lacy crust! As others have mentioned, it’s basically an fantastic version of a McD’s cheeseburger

Cheese fries

Happy Belated Mid-Autumn Festival! Old school from Kee Wah

This was a mini salted yolk mooncake. I didn’t get to take them side by side for scale, but the latter was about a 1/3 the size of the former

Zhengylov Hatz They basically only serve two food items, but I really enjoy both

Fat & Flour
Caramel pumpkin pie - slightly less sweet, as they say, but there’s a (subtle) savory note from the salted caramel. But extremely rich and dense, and oh so decadent.

Pear with sour cherry handpie - I think the handpies continue to be my favorite thing at Fat & Flour, and that’s saying a lot

Ototo corn puffs

Passionfruit cream puffs

My favorite of these was definitely the passionfruit - that brightness really explodes in your mouth and complements the richness of the cream and the delicate crust. Thanks for the tip @PorkyBelly

Had to score some imo shochu as well

Sushi Kaneyoshi continues to be outstanding

In the left container is kamasu bozushi and anakyu (thanks again PB)

18 Likes

Shochu! Somebody is drinking shochu. Sound the alarms. Set off the fireworks, @beefnoguy!
So excited. What did you think, @NYCtoLA? (Looking at your post history, it looks like you are not new to shochu.)

Hama no Imota is made by Chiyomusubi, the sake brewery that makes these guys (amongst others):
image image image

They make this sweet potato shochu using yellow koji, like sake, rather than white or black koji used for most shochu.

Drink more shochu!

1 Like

The artwork alone is worth the price.

La Mascota Bakery has been in the neighborhood since 1952. It’s very spacious and clean. Heck, they even have a shaded patio where you can enjoy their goods.

concha
Typically, I find conchas to be a bit dry and crumbly but not here! It’s got that wispy texture when you pull it apart. The crumbs are fine and overall texture is tender and pillow-y. Highly recommend this!

guava tartlet

tamales | chile verde con queso and chile rojo con puerco
the masa’s super moist, soft, and fluffy

Super duper highly recommend this green chile with cheese! Very delicious.

La Mascota Bakery

2715 Whittier Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90023
Boyle Heights

21 Likes

that’s my wife’s spot for tamales

4 Likes

Damn @Hungrydrunk, you’re holding out on us! This place is great.

1 Like

Thank you!!! I love those tamales but I also have always been so happy with all the Pan Dulce I’ve ever gotten at La Mascota. Always spot on.

–Dommy!

5 Likes

That’s also my spot for tamales. I usually go on non-Christmas season otherwise my friends/coworkers supply my belly with tamales

5 Likes

Same here. They make those same Delicious tamales all year long. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hahaha ,i thought it was considered a standard FTC spot so i never post about it

4 Likes

La Indiana is pretty good too.I did a tamales shootout a number of years ago (no La Moscota) and if memory serves me right, La Indiana came out tops

https://www.yelp.com/biz/la-indiana-tamales-los-angeles?sort_by=date_desc

2 Likes

What’s your favorite there?

The egg custard mooncakes (on right) are pretty good and from HK too.

@moonboy403 pork

3 Likes