October 2020 Rundown

Crooked Gaff Kitchen (Whittier) -
Oysters + Pliny the Elder
My first Pliny and it was delicious. I enjoyed how lovely it smelled and how well it paired with the oysters…kushii, kumamoto, kumiai, and Laguna Bay. I found I did not enjoy the Laguna Bay oysters…bitter aftertaste and minerally…I had to use the mignonette sauce to help.
Also had the fish & chips while catching the first few minutes of Beetlejuice.

Clearman’s Steak N Stein (Pico Rivera) -
Cocktails and steak! Not a bad way to spend Halloween. We didn’t want to be wallowing home all night…our chowpups were close to being phased out of doing any activity and this year’s suggestion helped speed the process along. So we decided to enjoy some fun things in our neighborhood.

Worth noting that each place is really respecting distancing and county ordinances. It was also a quiet night as each place was never close to being busy even with distancing and reduced outdoor capacity.

9 Likes

Hi Dommy! Sorry for the late reply. I received my yuzu tree as a gift. I believe the person who gave me the tree got it from a nursery in the Montebello area. Sorry I couldn’t be more specific. What I do know, though, is that my yuzu tree is a graft.

1 Like

Thanks @J_L! Sounds like I gotta get myself on a mission…

1 Like

Looks great. What’s in the middle of the hummus?

1 Like

What?! I :hearts: chicken croquettes!

1 Like

I believe it’s just cooked chickpeas mixed with some zuug and tahini

1 Like

I’ve only seen it once, but hopefully they bring it back again!

1 Like

i believe those were extra from the family style food festival, hopefully they do it again.

1 Like

Duplicate. :wink:

2 Likes

Yum?

2 Likes

Ohmigod, I’m so behind in posting. We’ll see if I peter out toward the end of the pics…

Did we know that Night + Market does fried chicken???

Didn’t realize that Needle opens at 3PM, and we were hungry and in the area (and there around 2PM), so we got this. Not bad at all. There are long slivers of jalapeño. I needed more sauce or condiments (can’t recall if it had a bit of mayo in it?) b/c, while the chicken itself wasn’t try, the sandwich as a whole was a bit on the parched, and I could’ve some more lime in w/ the papaya salad.

Square One had apparently been closed and it now re-opened.

Didn’t realize salmon benedict (one of my fav dishes) is now weekend-only (was there on a weekday). You now enter through the patio, order at a counter, and the food is brought to your table. The patio has all-new furniture (incl renovated restrooms), and the tables are very nicely spaced and all have VERY big umbrellas. Cashier also does not allow customers to touch the tablet (EXCELLENT!). This was my first outdoor dining during the pandemic, and I felt relatively comfortable eating there (although I don’t think I’ll be doing outdoor dining until the numbers go down). Food is as good as it ever was, and I’m so glad that their opened. Blurry pic is of avocado toast (that had gorgeous watermelon radishes).

Had Melisse x Citrin for a special occasion toward the end of the month. Forgot to take a pic of the menu, so here it is from their FB page.

F*ck that was delicious. Basil brioche (not pictured) didn’t taste much of basil, although the brioche part itself was great. Honeynut squash velouté came in a TINY plastic container and didn’t look that interesting; it was DELICIOUS and rich. Lobster bolognese was so good that I was literally trying to lick the container. I still kind of dream about it. I don’t know if I’ve ever had a toasted barley sauce; I imagine it’d be kind of boring, but this had intense unami flavor. Only miss of the whole thing was that the short rib was either very intense… or surprisingly over-salted (and I like salt). :frowning: I think all whipped cream should contain yuzu. :wink:

Partner thought it was all so good that he had wished we had ordered 2 portions. I thought 1 portion was just barely enough.

Finally tried the burger at Charcoal’s walk up. Burger was fine, but the steak fries get a special shout out.

I normally detest thicker cut fries, but these are done correctly. Slightly crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Not overly starchy.

If you’d made it this far, you get to see me in a Halloween costume:

24 Likes

Those feet!!!

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: October 2022 Rundown

Photo dump from Izakaya Hachi in Costa Mesa.

Service was good…but we think we like the overall experience in the South Bay better.

10 Likes