Of Tasting Menus and tasting menus

They also serve lunch on Friday w/ a tasting menu option. We did that as our company holiday lunch (12/2017) along w/ the wine pairings. I just checked their menu and the lunch tm is $95pp/$150 w/ wine pairings. We all thought everything was excellent including service.

2 Likes

If this is your first time in town, do just casual neighborhood style eats places is already good, and go for the mid tier and upper mid tier joints (as well as the blue collar/local), get a variety, and sample to see how you like it. For the finer dining more expensive Michelin pedigree types, plan ahead for better results. Work it out with DH and compromise on you getting some wine and sake at a nice place, and let him have some Italian somewhere that you both like.

I feel Atelier Crenn is heading towards a space that will lose its identify from its more humble and creative beginnings. I’m happy for Dominique and what she has had to struggle to get to where she is now, but she’s so high up now in that part of the food chain world that it’s easy to get lost and not doing something that reflects more grassroots. Seriously I don’t need another dish that uses shima aji and citrus, and only takes up 8% of a plate :-(, or her rendition of A5 Wagyu that everyone else is doing, and this was when they were at one or two stars.

Our closest rendition of Providence would be The Sea by Alexander Steak House In Palo Alto, although I suspect it’s a far cry from it…the chef de cuisine at The Sea used to work at Providence. I’ve had good and just ok meals there in the past, you just have to get lucky. I’d say stick with Providence between the two. You may get better mileage at Farallon in San Francisco (seafood based).

1 Like

If you like seafood, try Saison. You can tell them you prefer a menu without meat, and they will be happy to accomodate. That’s what chef Laurent Gras does best, anyways–the seafood dishes at Saison highlight the ingredients really well, and way outshine the meat dishes, IMO. Also recommend Swan Oyster Depot.

The Sea is not worth a visit for first time visitors…there are just too many better options. While Atelier Crenn is nominally a seafood-focused restaurant serving no meat, I don’t find seafood to be the highlight. The menu is too gimmicky. Atelier Crenn is one restaurant where I feel its quest for michelin stars have really hurt the quality of the food.

1 Like

Thanks @beefnoguy. You describe just what we have in mind.

From what you, @sffood and others describe Atelier Crenn is the dining equivalent of an obscure French film that only buffs can appreciate.

1 Like