One night for BBQ

On Monday, my wife is grabbing dinner with a friend and so dinner will just be me and my 11/14 yo sons. We’ve already decided on BBQ (American style) and will be coming from the Palos Verdes/Torrance area.

Besides being able to do BBQ, which my wife won’t eat, it also means we have more flexibility on decor (i.e. can be more hole in the wall-y). As long as the location is safe at night…

What’s the closest place to get some amazing BBQ? Willing to drive 45-60 minutes, although hoping to avoid it. And not biased to any region of BBQ.

My other option is to try Aqui Texcoxo, which would be my choice but the sons aren’t convinced yet…

1 Like

Tentatively reserved Maple Block Meat in Culver City …

Maple block has been on downhill alert for a long time.

If you’re making the trip I would go to bludsos but I’ve heard they are inconsistent.

Robert earls or whiskey flats are much closer.

1 Like

I say go to Moo’s

2 Likes

unfortunately not open on mondays

1 Like

I know :frowning: Moo’s was the obvious choice for me, but sadly not open…

Dang, neither Robert Earls nor Whiskey Flats are open on Monday!

Even Heritage (in San Juan Capistrano) is closed on Monday and Tuesday). :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

if you can make it out today apl is doing a pop-up in torrance

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClFtWwKtK7L/?hl=en

no can do! It really is a one night get out of jail card on Monday :slight_smile: sadly, looks like Joey’s in Torrance may be the choice. Will be totally fine for the kids but was looking forward to trying one of the more higly regarded places. But most appear to be closed on Mondays.

Sadly have to agree about Maple Block. I was working near it for a couple years, and every lunch the meat seemed to get successively drier and tougher.

Thanks for the alert! I noticed on Yelp that recent reviews had been really bad so this is confirmatory…

sorry i dont have any useful suggestions on american bbq places, but i would strongly advocate to go to texcoco AND bbq! barbacoa can always be taken to go and reheated later…

1 Like

Would you take a rain check on the American BBQ and go to Heritage BBQ when they are opened?

1 Like

how is the City of Commerce location of Texcoco? The Yelp reviews make it sound horrendous…

unfortunately i’ve never been… but i don’t know that i would necessarily be scared off by poor yelp reviews? my preferred barbacoa place also has some terrible reviews that are in fact not at all reflective

@EattheWorldLA has reviewed within the last couple years but maybe he has also visited more recently?

worst case if you plan for 2 stops and texcoco turns out to be a dud, you still have a second stop!

Welp, we got lazy and went to Joey’s Smokin BBQ in Torrance. Was it an epicurean delight? No. But after a day of golf, soccer and solid father / sons time, it was the perfect end to a wonderful day.

We ended up with babyback ribs and chicken. Minimal smokiness but the sauce was tangy and sweet, the meat was tender, almost fall off the bone but with that last bit of chew left, which was perfect. Kids scarfed down the mac and cheese so I can’t opine. Peach crumble was unremarkable but the Choco chip cookies were fantastic. Chewy but with a bit of crunch on the outside ring and chock full of chips. Nothing gourmet but think a really well made homestyle cookie.

By no means a destination joint but for a location spot to satisfy a bbq craving? It hit the spot. And we found out my son is friends with the owner’s son.

8 Likes

It’s hard to believe that you couldn’t find something wonderful in Long Beach. I don’t know the area that well but it just seems like a given. I remember a place on 2nd Ave. or second Street in Belmont Shores with a name like smoke in the title

Here is the link. Right now I cannot even remember if I have eaten there but it’s a lot closer to Palos Verdes

It’s hard to believe that you couldn’t find something wonderful in Long Beach. I don’t know the area that well but it just seems like a given. I remember a place on 2nd Ave. or second Street in Belmont Shores with a name like smoke in the title

Here is the link. Right now I cannot even remember if I have eaten there but it’s a lot closer to Palos Verdes
Lucille‘s smokehouse barbecue

Have been to the Lucille’s in Torrance… Was mediocre the time we went and never been back. There were definitely a couple spots in Long Beach but they weren’t open on Monday so they weren’t an option.

I did not know that about Maple Block. Bummer. We had it a few months ago, I think, and it was very good. I hope they pull it together because it’s a favorite for home party trays. They’re efficient, helpful with suggestions, food packs & travels well, plus we like the sides way more than Bludso’s which is closer. Haven’t been to Heritage yet but Moo’s Craft is our reigning favorite!

5 Likes