Online Asian groceries - Newish delivery service in LA area

So I just discovered an online Asian grocery that delivers in LA, and since I am trying to minimize my physical grocery shopping due to COVID concerns, this worked out well for me so I’d thought I’d share it with my fellow FTCers. From I could find out in some cursory online research, they are pretty popular in the Bay Area and have recently expanded to LA.

DM me if you want a referral link, but the service is called Weee! Asian Groceries Delivered.

I ordered a ton of staples, and they have some stuff that has been harder to find locally (t.g. sweet potato starch and rice flour) and shipping is free over $35. The frozen stuff comes packaged in insulated bags or dry ice. The produce bags are huge - I didn’t really pay attention to the weights as I was putting items in my shopping cart, but I sure did notice the $2.99 bag of Japanese yams when the large 5 lb bag was delivered!). And they also have very niche items - I can put together a Taiwanese night market inspired meal with the Taiwanese sausage, stinky tofu and apple soda :wink:

There are reviews on each item’s product page, which was quite helpful for me on some of the items I haven’t tried before. Be warned that it’s easy to spend a lot as well as you search and add to your cart. I’m eyeing the Amazing Matcha Mochi Ice Cream 473 ml for my next order! And if you are a durian fan, they’ve got the frozen ones.

Here’s a snapshot of some of what I ordered.

Delivery was fine - they emailed status instead of texting, so I will have to see if that can be changed. The Chinese delivery guy didn’t speak English so well, but I saw my order on his phone and he had my number and any special instructions so I think for the most part as long as you have good instructions, delivery will be fine. And remember to tip them well! :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Hi @MalibuT,

Wow, that looks impressive! Thanks. :slight_smile: However, you crossed the line when you mentioned Durian delivered! The poor delivery driver’s car… :stuck_out_tongue: :nauseated_face: :smile:

1 Like

LOL, just testing to see who is paying attention. Did you see the reviews? One person accidentally bought it, :rofl: how does that happen?

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Retargeting. Gotta love online advertising

1 Like

My wife tried this. Verdict: 6/10 (pass). Most of the stuff is available from Ranch 99 through Instacart. And she found the produce at Ranch 99 to be higher quality.

1 Like

I bought Japanese Groceries from https://home-la.mtckitchen.com/
Food quality was pretty good. I hope their prices are little cheaper…

1 Like

Oh, wow. That makes sense, since Mutual Trading is a big broadline Japanese distributor. Now I’m curious to check out their product mix for the public

1 Like