Outdoor dining destinations

Hal’s is being reincarnated in the former Primativo space on Abbot Kinney. Casa Linda is already open right mext door. The back patio area is the nicest quietest outdoor space on Abbot Kinney.

3 Likes

@bulavinaka
I’m out of touch with Venice lately. Happy that Hal’s did not just fade away. My parents used to take me there. Then I started going with my friends and felt so grown up :wink:

L.A. Weekly:
HAL’S MOVE SIGNALS THAT THE WESTSIDE’S CREATIVE CORE IS NO LONGER VENICE
“Things don’t stay the same. Things move,” says Hal Frederick, the man behind the restaurant. “We were on Abbot Kinney for a long time, and we were the first cosmopolitan restaurant on the street. We had sophisticated food that was attractive to actors and artists. It’s incredible how people make a home out of a restaurant.”

Not clear to me whether the Playa Vista location is still happening, but the move back to Abbot Kinney is real - already at the soft opening stage - so perhaps Hal has had a change of heart.
http://la.eater.com/2016/4/15/11439966/hals-bar-grill-venice-opening-primitivo-abbot-kinney

1 Like

Okay sweet. I’m glad he’s still doing his thing. Not many restaurants in L.A. last as long as Hal’s.

Playa Vista location will be located across from Urban Plates. When? Don’t know…

Many of those “at the creative core” who frequented Hal’s have moved on for various reasons. Retirement, recession, evolution, passing away. But the most obvious reason has been gentrification, which has been going on for over 20 years. Hal’s was the most recent victim of significance.

1 Like

@ebethsdad I think we’re going to head up to the falls on Monday morning. Any recs on where we can we stop along the way to pick up supplies for lunch? I usually don’t frequent that neck of the woods.

It depends on where you come from and how involved you want to get. If you just want sandwiches (actually the “sandwich”) and are arriving from the east (i.e. 605 to the 210/134 to the 2) the Roma Deli is convenient, as are other Pasadena venues. From the west you can hit up the Studio City/Sherman Oaks spots; Mendocino Farms, the Artisan Cheese Shop, or Joan’s on Third. I don’t really have any recs if you come through downtown on the 2 as I am rarely there except to work, but I recall reading about a great new sandwich takeout place on a thread here. You will have to pass through Glendale; there are probably lots of choices there, but all I know about is Skaf’s and their food is better hot.

I am glad you are making it as things are turning brown so fast. There should still be plenty of water, flowers and butterflies, but things are drying up quickly. Have a great time and please let us know how you liked it. Don’t forget your Forest Adventure pass as I wouldn’t want a ticket to spoil your day.

1 Like

Not for dinner, and probably not a “destination” type of restaurant, but I always enjoy breakfast on the patio at French Market Cafe in Venice. It’s on Abbot Kinney but the south side of Venice, so it’s a lot quieter. Plus there’s a lil over-priced market where you can buy sardines and an orangina.

Copenhagen, right off the 210 (exit Rosemead)

1 Like

Amazing! Unfortunately, closed on Mondays. I’m bookmarking this place for future trips to Pasadena.

French Market Cafe is popular for breakfast - more so for lunch. It can be tough getting a patio seat on any given day for lunch - packed on a nice day.

Fair enough. I’ve never had an issue getting a patio table, but I’ve also typically gone early ish. Like at breakfast time vs. brunch time. Plus that way, you beat the mid-morning sun.

We hit up Duke’s in Huntington Beach this weekend after an afternoon of lazying around the beach. Drinks were okay, and the food was snackable…the view was perfect.

2 Likes

Had diner last night at the Tower Bar Patio in West Hollywood. Great view of the city and nice vibe. Food and service were good. We had bronziono, burger, pork chop, fries, tuna tartare, wedge salad. Everyone enjoyed. The bronzino was especially good. Nice burger and very good fries. Very pricy I think but to my surprise my buddy picked up the check for all. Very nice.

Heading to Fred’s at Barney’s for Mother’s Day. First time since they took over. Dont know about the food, but they too have great views.

3 Likes