Outdoor Kitchen Design

We’re redoing our house and hoping to put in an outdoor kitchen. Any must haves? Any things that are a waste of space?

2 Likes

A sink is a must and if you have room, a small apartment size fridge. We love our outdoor wok burner. Also love the gozney dome oven. Countertop space is just as important outside as inside to prep.

7 Likes

I built an outdoor built in grill not a whole kitchen but here is my feedback.
Definitely add a fridge for outdoor drinks.

If you are adding a burner make sure you consider the strength and direction of the wind. Our burner was only usable like 50% of the time due to the wind.

If you like to smoke meats I’ve seen some nice custom counters with a cut out for a seamless Green Egg install. Nicer than just having the Green Egg kinda floating on the patio or deck.

Add the sink as hppzz mentioned and include drawers for paper towels, garbage bags, lighters, bug spray, wet wipes, etc…

We had a pull out garbage can and a small vermin problem. One day when we came out to use the grill I opened up the garbage can drawer and there were 3 small mice at the bottom unable to climb out. The custom counter and grill was covered on the outside by stone pieces which had small enough holes for vermin to sneak through. I was a little too drunk and tired to deal with it that night so I told my wife I’d deal with the mice the next day. The next day I open up the drawer and there are only 1.5 mice and blood. My wife neglected to tell me that mice are cannibals.

So get the pull out garbage can drawer. If you live in an area with lots of critters be mindful of design choices and small openings where animals can get into or inside the outdoor kitchen areas.

7 Likes

This company, https://snsgrills.com/, makes the best (charcoal) grills and kamados I have seen.

1 Like

Yes, yes, yes to the outdoor wok setup. #TheDragonLivesInTheBackyard

2 Likes

One of these puppies

3 Likes

What is that???

1 Like

Same kind of idea as this?