Paella, Por Favor!

I stand corrected, and my apologies. I just looked at La Española’s website and they only carry steel paella pans. But La Tienda carries the enameled ones, so that must be where I got mine. La Española says that the steel pans are the traditional ones, but the enameled ones from La Tienda are are also made in Valencia and are much easier to care for. Enjoy!

I just have a regular one someone put out on their front lawn in Brentwood lol. Looked like someone had used it one of twice and washed out nicely, so I took it home and cured the heck out of it. Works great and couldn’t be easier to take care of

6 Likes
1 Like

beautiful thanks all… i dont really want enamel.
i guess i’m going for

but need to think wisely because i’m going to be using it over wood/charcoal fire. Tienda told me to use heavier guage ones like stainless or pata negra type

3 Likes

Nice pan! Hope you get a lot of great use from it!

just ordered and am excited. the fire pit area is ready!

4 Likes

Sounds like you are going to get good use out of it! They are pretty great

1 Like

I had a lovely dinner at Dos Besos recently. Delicious, unpretentious food that was well-executed with quality ingredients, with very comfortable and attractive outdoor seating and friendly service.

I’ve never had a good paella in Spain–I think I ordered it only once or twice, decades ago–we tend to subsist on tapas when we travel there. So my only frame of reference is the meat-based paella I make myself while camping. The paella del mar at Dos Besos was excellent, and I assume it was authentic, as it fit the descriptions people use to describe a good paella. The seafood was top-notch. The rice was in a very thin layer (I guess I’ve been doing it wrong), deeply-flavored, and perfectly al dente. There was plenty of socarrat, and boy was it good. It was interesting (and a bit off-putting–I declined the service) that the servers went to each table to scrape the pan for diners. I wonder if this was to give them a chance to explain, and maybe forestall complaints, about the socarrat? (“Waiter, my rice is burnt!”). Or is that SOP in Spain? In any event, the paella did not disappoint in the least. Neither did our other dishes (pulpo, albondigas, the salad of the night–roasted peppers and grilled fresh sardine fillets on greens, and a marzipan-like almond tart). I will be back! I look forward to diving deeper into their menu.

5 Likes

thanks for the report, I’ll have to check it out.
how big is the paella? they look personal pan pizza size from the pictures.

what timing on the latest bump - we were at Loquita yesterday due to this thread. Minimal soccarat although it seemed like the server was expecting substantial soccrat. The paella tasted marvelous anyway - certainly better for me than Jaleo + La Espanola.

5 Likes

Personal pan size for you :grin:

A hungry person would certainly be able to eat one solo, given how thin the rice layer is, but I thought it was a perfect size for two people to share if they wanted to order other items. Note that the paella takes 30 minutes , so diners are asked to place their order at the beginning of service.

2 Likes

Gasolina Paella nights are back. Haven’t been to one myself but I like the place in general:

177 likes, 8 comments - GASOLINA (@gasolinacafe) on Instagram: "🦐🦐🦐It’s about that time…… Paella Nights are BACK! Next Friday & Saturday 9/16-17. ..."

3 Likes

I don’t understand why there isn’t a more traditional tapas style restaurant in LA I feel like it would do gangbusters.

2 Likes

I check that place’s site periodically. Perfecto’s restaurant is called “Bear” and no paella ever appears on the menu.

On a different front, I saw in the Brentwood News that long-time Italian restaurant Vincenti is closing in October and is expected to be replaced by “…a new restaurant that originated in Barcelona…will specialize in tapas and paella”.

4 Likes

Walking distance! Nice

Gasolina makes decent paellas: Good bomba rice, not soggy, decent socarrat and decent quality toppings (toppings are the least important to me). The sofrito they use imparts a hint of sweetness to the bite… a bit odd for my palate, but this may be subjective.

1 Like

Bar Pintxo came the closest, in my opinion, but it was a cursed location.

2 Likes

Loved that place and Chef How Miller

1 Like

Loquita is great. Had many memorable meals there. Did you get McConnell’s afterwards?

They accidentally threw out our paella leftovers so comped us two scoops of ice cream, thus cutting out our McConnell plans.

Loquita was 9.5/10, exceeded my expectations (except for the soccarat).

2 Likes