Paella, Por Favor!

I wonder if that would translate well to LA, though? Maybe if the restaurant stuck to raciones rather than pintxos…I mean, the tapas culture in Spain is so different than anything that would be economically viable here, not to mention the social aspect. You spend the evening going from one bar to the next, probably standing at a crowded counter, drinking small pours of inexpensive beer or wine or cider, eating inexpensive pintxos or slightly more expensive but still very affordable raciones…A restaurant in the U.S. would have a very hard time replicating the experience, even if they could replicate the food, and it would be so expensive compared to Spain that people who’ve been on tapeos might well balk. Wouldn’t it be great if LA had a “Little Spain” with several blocks of tapas bars to spend the night exploring?

8 Likes

I don’t see tapas bars like in Spain happening in the US, but sit-down restaurants that serve traditional tapas dishes (often in larger portions to share) are sometimes successful. I know of at least three in SF currently.

1 Like

Just tried Lupita, two weeks ago, after seeing it a year ago.VERY disappointed. Weakest bang-for buck of any place I’ve been in quite a while (If you’re going to charge that price for pan con tomat’, you’d better use damn good tomatoes). Also, Chowspouse who is usually swayed by ambiance,(whichLupita has) agreed and also noted “weakest Campari Spritz I’ve ever been served!”)

Oh, Racion’, RIP

1 Like

Heard their rent was tripled. I think they’re moving to another location.

That’s nuts!

FWIW, article in the paper said the owner was retiring and mentioned nothing about relocating.

2 Likes

I am sorry to hear Vincenti is closing; Maureen (the owner) was always gracious and welcoming and I had many delicious meals there over the years, going back to when Gino Angelini was the chef there. It’s been a while since I have visited, though (pre-pandemic), so will have to try to make a farewell reservation before she closes.

4 Likes

Anyone tried?

14 Likes

Nope but its been on my list for quite some time never made it over there though :frowning:

3 Likes

Had no idea! wow, that cool af.

1 Like

That Valencian award certificate is fun.

1 Like

ftc buyout?

10 Likes

That’s in my neck of the woods.

Anyone free to try on a Thursday? Definitely when the weather gets warmer. Too many bugs flying around now.

4 Likes

I think they only do the paella on Sundays! The rest of the time they specialize in ceviche

Looks like only thursdays.

4 Likes

The article was super confusing b/c it said Sunday initially and then mentioned Thursday later (and reservations only available for Thursdays.

If they ever move it back to Sundays, I’d be able to try it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d be up for either day if given enough notice

2 Likes

It took us almost 2 hours to get to Paella Concept and it was good enough that we will go back. I would have liked a bit more soccorat but that was my only complaint. The paella was properly cooked with a good bite to the rice. The toppings were all properly cooked and of good quality. We got the Pato but I would get the original if I were to go back.

7 Likes

Thanks. We made reservations…for April.

Oddly, I’ve never been impressed by any restaurant’s paella or my attempts to make it at home. I haven’t travelled much in Spain though.

The Paella Project was a good experience. We liked the paellas but found them too salty. We would go back if it were on the way to something. 4.3 warrior points.

1 Like