Pandemic Al Fresco Dining Done Well

Hi @skramzlife - How are they managing it at Mozza?

they built a nice patio on the back parking lot. Probably around 10ish tables? All nicely distanced.
Menu from Osteria and Pizzeria…so you can get that good puglia burrata and a pizza at the same time (or pasta). Waiters with PPE and contactless payment via a QR code. It was nice.

4 Likes

Great, thanks @skramzlife! I’m so out of touch with dining out - been cooking, cooking, cooking and when tired of washing, washing, washing we order takeout.

4 Likes

Standout dishes included:

Bread ($14) - tomatoes, confit garlic, parsley, portuguese olive oil
Corn ($15) - queso fresco, cotija, cilantro aioli, chili lime salt, mexican crema
Oxtail Tostada ($5) - cabbage, queso fresco, avocado crema, hot pickled veg, lime, cilantro
Whole Snapper ($42) - escabeche, lime, pineapple, cilantro, green onion, chili rub
Churros ($10) - cinnamon, sugar, arequipe sauce

Being a wine lover I was extremely impressed with their wine program and global diversity of bottle selection. It’s a fantastic mix of new world and old world wines. Since most in my party opted for cocktails (ugggh :smile:) I had to go by the glass and decided on the 2017 Mencia from Galicia, Spain. A great selection for the meal!

2 Likes

Thanks so much!
Will have to try soon

Great thread.

Wow a pizzeria x osteria mix up that’s amazing, I’ll have to check that out for sure.

1 Like

I thought the bread dish at Dama was unimpressive. I figure most people on this board could make bread topped with diced tomatoes, garlic, chopped parsley, and olive oil that tastes at least as good. It struck me as something that would make more sense as a freebie than as an actual “dish,” especially for $14.

I thought the snapper was just okay. Too dry.

Completely agree with you on the price of the bread. Despite that we still thought it was delicious.

Snapper was very moist during our visit.

Just remembered Saddle Peak Lodge. Haven’t been in a few years and have never been for dinner, but it has always been an awesome brunch spot with a large, gorgeous patio.

Think AOC is the move today. We don’t have the kid for once

1 Like

While I love AOC’s patio, seems like the food has been so unremarkable as of late. My last 2 visits have been very meh.

2 Likes

Crud. We are waiting for a table and paid a deposit. Can I get a refund if I tell them you’re displeased?

1 Like

Agreed. Used to be one of my favorites but my last couple visits (pre-covid) were really average. As gorgeous as the patio is, I’m done with them.

Lol you can definitely try.

We just had 4 fantastic dishes. Actually way more impressed than our last 2 visits.

4 Likes

Crooked Graff - Whittier

Alive & kicking @attran99. DIL sent these last night. They said the patio was very kush, romantic lighting and good distancing. They enjoyed the meal!

Pork Belly Bao

Salmon Asparagus Pea Risotto

Flat Iron Steak

6 Likes

I’ve been to many of the Santa Monica restaurants, and been surprised how well they’ve converted. Feel safe, and it’s just so great to be able to be out and have something other than my own cooking. Favorites:

Ivy at the Shore has taken over their entire back parking lot, complete with palm trees and bougainvillea, it looks and feels like their main dining room. Really a delight.

Prima Cocino on Montana also with the back parking lot, with pinatas overhead, a lovely rattan wall which blocks the parking lot completely, and very good fresh Baja style food (no greasy enchiladas here).

Forma also in parking lot (be prepared to walk around the block to get to it, no going through the restaurant to the back), with their full menu (most menus are 50%). Forma is always fantastic.

2 Likes

Out of area - I stopped at El Mexicali in Indio two weeks ago. My first time I’ve been, and we ate there around 3 or 4PM. They’ve converted two big portions of a parking lot to misters + very well spaced seating. No one but employees went inside the building; restrooms have a separate entrance.

Good food, good lemonade. They serve booze as well, but drinking in the heat grosses me out. Next time.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-mexicali-cafe-indio-3

1 Like

Haven’t been recently myself, but Darya (Persian restaurant on Santa Monica Blvd. near Bundy in West LA) appears to have converted the sidewalk in front to some sort of patio.

1 Like