Pandemic Al Fresco Dining Done Well

open

3 Likes

It’s real and open. Check out their IG. They posted a video of them getting the space ready for soft open.

1 Like

It looks like the ‘Blade Runner’ noodle scene, just minus the rain and dystopia. But fear not! There should be oodles of cool jazz… #TheWave

2 Likes

I mean… it was built so that (mostly) rich, (more likely to be) vaccinated people can stay warm while they eat a fancy meal in the middle of a global pandemic that has disproportionately devastated the financially disadvantaged and also exacerbated income inequality…

If it ain’t fully dystopian, it’s at least featured in the newsreel under the opening credits that speeds through 20-50 years of history and introduces the dystopia to the audience.

lol (?)

7 Likes

I worried about the huge costs of building that out. Most of the hospitality industry has slim profit margins.

As they build the Metro, the wall stays there so I don’t think there should be any problem to keep it up for two years. I certainly need it up for a year, because just the return on the investment—I mean, to spend $350,000 on something, you don’t want it to tear down in six months. We wouldn’t make back the money to pay for it.

1 Like

Beneficiary of strategic menu pricing & knowing your clientele translates to healthy margins…

Hearth Baked

$12.00

French Baguette | Roasted Khashk Eggplant | Sicilian Olive Oil | Le Beurre Bordier

Spicy Big Eye Tuna Tartare Cones*

$34.00

Sesame - Ginger Tuile | Chili Aioli | Wasabi | Tosa Soy | Diakon Sprouts

Pizza with Shaved French Black Truffles

$72.00

Comte | Fontina | Black Truffle Béchamel | Parmigiano Reggiano

Pizza with House Cured Smoked Scottish Salmon*

$38.00

Red Onion | Dill Creme Fraiche | Chives | Salmon Roe

Japanese Aji Sashimi*

$28.00

Yuzu Ponzu | O - Nigiri | Toasted Sesame | Daikon Radish | Shiso Blossoms

Roasted Babe Farm’s Roasted Baby Beets

$25.00

Provençal Olive Oil | Maast O Moosir | Aged Balsamic | Upland Cress | Pistachios

Cara Cara Orange & Endive Salad

$26.00

Niçoise Olives | Herbs | Butter Lettuce Hearts | Champagne Vinaigrette

Hand Cut Marcho Farm’s Veal Tartare*

$39.00

French Black Truffles | Shallots | Potato Crisps | Quail Egg | Black Truffle Aïoli

Hand Rolled Garganelli Pasta “Carbonara”*

$39.00

Black Truffles | Guanciale | Pecorino Romano | Black Pepper | Uova

Agnolotti del Plin

$26.00

Celery Root | Mascarpone | Black Truffle Butter | Parmigiano Reggiano

Lacquered Liberty Farm’s Duck Breast*

$52.00

Quince | Yellow Turnip | Braised Red Cabbage | Sun Dried Cherries

Pan Roasted Half Jidori Chicken

$49.00

Black Trumpet Mushrooms | Goat Cheese | Yukon Gold Potatoes | Thyme

Roasted Rack of Colorado Lamb*

$68.00

Roasted Cauliflower | Fenugreek | Barberry - Saffron Scented Basmati Rice

Austrian Veal Weinerschnitzel

$54.00

Marinated Fingerling Potatoes | Cucumbers & Caraway | Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil

1 Like

About par with majordomo/Bastia/Republique et al imo

1 Like

Unless Majordomo has raised its prices significantly, depending on what you order I think it could be a lot cheaper than that. They typically have 6-8 appetizers $18 or under.

I haven’t seen their P&L’s, but I suspect they’re OK. Wolfgang Puck sells frozen food at supermarkets. They sell pizza at airports. This is an empire.

Has anyone recently done outdoor Korean BBQ in Ktown with tables that were well spaced? I’m really missing that.

Park’s tables look well-spaced:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/parks-bbq-los-angeles?select=RQCwoaYrKVqkMZ6A5wriAg

4 Likes

Nice. They sure do!

Hai Di Lao in Arcadia has very spaced tables and top notch safety protocols. All utensils are packaged, ordering on iPad, outdoor dining, etc…and damn I missed having their hot pot.

Carlitos Gardel - Melrose Ave

Okay, so I said we didn’t miss dining out as much as we thought we would. Now I’m thinking we’re just adaptable people because we sure loved the heck outta this evening.

(Internet photo)
It was rainy & windy but the patio roof was securely covered and is enclosed with thick wood siding, floors & heaters. My back was to the wall and at times I felt a slight chill on my neck, but nothing that a martini couldn’t fix.

Slightly Dirty Vodka Martini for the lady and for the gentleman an Old Fashioned. They were excellent.

Nice, hot, soft, crusty bread easily splits open to spoon in Chimichurri and close right back up to eat neatly. :slightly_smiling_face:

I got some citrus and buttery, toasty notes from the Semillon. Very nice with my fish. I think husband’s red was a Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina… “Very good.”

De La Casa - Organic Greens, Tomatoes, Hearts of Palm, Artichoke Hearts, Red Onion, Hard-boiled Egg, Capers, Cucumbers, Parmesan-Herb Dressing

Good salad. Capers gave it a little zesty, briny punch.

Ribeye

I think this was a “special” ribeye of the evening, but I didn’t catch the details. Hubs was all over it, so. :hearts:

Your basic steak knife - cuts well and it doesn’t require 60 cameras to make sure you don’t steal it.

Grilled Branzino w/Spicy Chimichurri

Perfect, fresh, moist, juicy, crispy skin & edges and a not too kicky of a kick from the spicy chimichurri. :hearts:

Root Vegetable Purée Mashed Potatoes

Yum!

Chocolate Cake w/Dulce de Leche + Vanilla Ice cream

The texture of the cake reminded me of carrot cake. It was good but not mind-blowing - a bit too sweet as were the teeth achingly sweet dollops of dulce de leche. I would get the white cake with ricotta next time.

The service was excellent and they took every safety precaution (temp taker, menu scanning, masks, face shields, plexiglass dividers). They did a great job on the buildout including a clean and nicely-appointed temporary restroom (no toto). Idk what the parking will be like once business on the block is back to normal, but the outdoor setup is so nice I’m wondering if they’ll try to keep it permanently.

Happy Dining Out!

16 Likes

I expect most restaurants will try to hang on to these spaces as it’s more covers without more rent.

Yep I was thinking why not if they own the building or the owners and the city let’s them. Potentially more profit.

One small silver lining of the California lockdowns was the greatly expanded patio dining options. (My heartfelt sympathy goes out to all the people who lost their jobs.) I hope these options continue to be offered even as restaurants are rapidly returning to indoor dining. Rossoblu gets my vote for favorite patio dining during the lockdowns. But there are many restaurants that will always be in our hearts for their valiant efforts during this awful time: Brera, Factory Kitchen, Gra, Bavel, Republique, and Angelini Osteria, to name just a few.

2 Likes

That, @TheCookie, reads like the opening of one of the classic LA noir novels.

10 Likes

I feel very safe at Republique. Well spaced tables. Actually not too busy before 7.

1 Like