Pandemic Al Fresco Dining Done Well

hatchet hall?

3 Likes

I thought of HH. I just asked her what California fusion is… waiting.

Answer: “American restaurants that have an asian, mexican, or European flair… I think the “food” word for it is just California Cusine” She’s off of Italian at the moment.

1 Like

Republique and call it a day

Republique brunch fits this perfect with its French x Filipino vibes

3 Likes

Gjelina

1 Like

“California cuisine” to me suggests Rustic Canyon. Or maybe Michael’s?

2 Likes

The Rose in Venice or Fia in Santa Monica.

2 Likes

Rustic canyon exec chef Andy Doubrava is a good follow on Instagram. Very creative.

1 Like

Thanks All!

She’s going to Hatchet Hall with her kids. So I sent her a few other options & this link posted up-thread. It has a few cool options but seems a little lite (no Rose Venice?). She selected Post & Beam - nice garden patio, within budget, central locale, plus they have a new owner & team with Hatchet Hall alumnus, Martin Draluck, as Chef de Cuisine. Looking forward to it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Honestly, idk if all this sanitizing stops the spread of COVID-19 or not. I’m just glad peeps are washing their hands more & restaurants are cleaning their germy tables.

6 Likes

I dunno the status of the restaurant itself, but the Michael’s building is being heavily renovated right now.

I guess it’s possible, but I’ve been walking by it fairly frequently and that building looks pretty gutted

Resy lists three seating areas, all outdoors, and has a detailed list of pandemic precautions.

Girls’ Night Out at Post & Beam.

(kevin eats)

They still have a big, tented, parking lot dining-area, but we ate on the permanent attached patio. It’s not expansive but has a nice vibe - good for dinner or cocktails & bites around the fire pit.

It was dark for decent photos, so I’ll post a few and describe the rest.

Starts & Sides:

The wine list isn’t extensive. I had a glass of Conundrum Sparkling Rose.

Warm Cornbread w/Honey Butter was the bomb. :hearts:

• Smoked Chicken Wings (choice of sauces) - undercooked & not crispy. :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

• Fried Catfish Nuggets w/Spicy White Remoulade - not a big catfish eater but these were really tasty, as was the remoulade.

• Dungeness Crab & Rockfish Cakes w/Wild Arugula & Shallot Vinaigrette - more tastiness, especially w/the spicy white remoulade from the catfish nuggets. :blush:

• Mac & Smoked Cheese w/Herb Breadcrumbs was delicious!

Entrees:

In trying to work-off the C19 lbs, I had the Torn Kale & Endive Salad w/Seasonal Apples, Roasted Squash, Spiced Pecans, Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette. Ummm it tasted like a kale salad, which is actually unfair because some kale salads are great… this was not. The roasted squash was a puréed schmear. :smirk:

Jerk Catfish, Marinated Herbs, Dirty Rice - Idk how jerk it was but my girlfriend called foul. It was breaded and deep fried. She doesn’t like breaded and deep fried fish.

Shrimp, Grits w/Beef Bacon, Roasted Peppers & Shrimp Butter - the birthday girl loved this dish! :hearts:

Certified Angus Beef Short Ribs w/Fresh Horseradish - My girls thought the meat was not falling off the bone tender and there wasn’t enough sauce. I took an order home for hubs - true it was more like a Yankee Pot Roast than a tender braised short rib dish. We liked it and there was plenty of sauce. :blush:

Costco Cake & Chocolate Strawberries - Idk what kind of cake this was except it was really, really good. :hearts: The giant strawberries had no sweetness and little flavor.

Post & Beam is still hit ‘n miss with the new team. But there were a few standout dishes, a warm atmosphere and good service.

Happy Al Fresco Dining!

10 Likes

The Rose Venice. Sooo much outdoor space…

We sat on this raised deck in an alcove, upper-right.

It was our own little, semi-private space overlooking the action on the green “grass” patio below. I hope to win this table lottery again.

Green “Grass” Patio

Greenhouse-ish Dining

I think there’s also another covered outdoor space as you enter from the parking lot.

No longer is there a specialty market & gift shop inside - it’s replaced by a bar w/tables (note: loud music), oyster case, wine room, more cases and more tables.

There’s so much space we were able to make a brunch resy for 4 ppl the day before. That’s a luxury in the days of limited seating.

Cool restroom hallway. I must be rusty from not dining-out because I forgot to check for a Toto. :wink:

Food & Drink…

Old-fashioneds for the Men

Banana Hammocks for the Ladies - House Rum Blend, Caramelized Banana, Pandan Syrup, Coconut Water, Lime, Tiki Bitters, Banana Merengue

This is so good. :hearts::tropical_drink::hearts: If you don’t like sweet cocktails this might not be for you, but I thought it was balanced and super tasty.

Curry Fries

These crispy, lightly spiced fries were good enough to rate a post on the French Fry thread. :blush:

I had my first Grain Bowl… and I liked it…

Asparagus, Snap Peas, Radishes, Avocado, Pea Greens, Roasted Japanese Sweet Potato, Quinoa, Pea Yuzu Green Curry Vinaigrette, Salmon Supplement

This is delicious. :hearts: I even liked their firm, sprout-y quinoa. The salmon was cooked perfectly w/nice, crispy skin. My only quibble would be more tasty roasted sweet potato and a side of lemon, because I’m a citrus lover. If we lived close to The Rose this dish would be added to the regular meal plan for sure.

Steak & Eggs - Dry-Aged Hanger Steak, Two Fried Eggs, Crispy Potato, Summertime Chimichurri

This dish was huge, enough for two+, and everything was cooked right. Hubs was very satisfied. :blush:

Unfortunately, our friends were not quite as satisfied…

One had the Cubano - Rotisserie Pork, Ham, Swiss Cheese, Pickles, Mustard. She thought it was weak. It did look kinda’ puny. (no photo)

Hubs had the Korean-style Fried Chicken Sandwich - Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Gochujang Glaze, Pickled Green Tomato, House Slaw, Mayo

He was expecting “more sweetness in the glaze, like most Korean fried chicken.” I think he could’ve forgiven them if it was juicy, but it was a little dry too.

Maybe stick to brunch fare and California cuisine-type dishes at The Rose?

I have a sentimental attachment to The Rose. We haven’t been in a while but I practically lived in Venice as a teenager. The Rose was a favorite friends & family dining spot and in the summer my cousin and I would park in their lot, buy a to-go drink or snack, get validated and spend the day at the beach. Not no more you can. After our recent brunch we took a ride in our friends’ new car and came back to sticker shock.They stopped validating this year! :astonished: Moral of the story… find other parking arrangements.

Happy Outdoor Dining!

9 Likes

Yeah, that parking is one reason i end up at Gjusta more often or did I should say. That said the food there is really good. I’d stick with anything Cali cuisine or Italian-ish at the Rose Café Jason Neroni is great with pasta!

3 Likes

Ohhh we’ll have to try the pasta.

His pizza is also good but I think it is with dinner that the food really shines and becomes most interesting.

1 Like

Putting something on the menu as “jerk” with no indication that it’s breaded and deep-fried is just wrong.

1 Like