Papilles team to open new restaurant in Pasadena

Interesting news on Eater: looks like Papilles owner Santos Uy and Chef Tim Carey are taking over Sanger’s and Joe in Pasadena, to open a new French Seafood restaurant.

1 Like

Lost at Sea

Crudités, market vegetables, smoked albacore tonnato

Oysters. Melon habanero relish.

Scallop tomatillo aguachile

Sockeye salmon. Panzanella. Tomato. Basil pesto.

Snapper. Shelling and wax beans. Shimeji. Tarragon fumet.

Delicious.

5 Likes

Wish them nothing but luck. New space is looking really fresh too. Wish it was closer

1 Like

Stuff looks good, when did you get to try that stuff? Thanks for the linkage

Last night. Was invited to a friends and family night.

Does this mean chef Tim is no longer going to be cooking at Papilles?

1 Like

“Opening” tonight

res here.

menu here.

oysters.

crudite with smoked albacore spread.

scallop.

mole octopus. i.e. best mole made by a white chef in LA. mocks molenderas, forget about Guelaguetza.

snapper - i.e. Patina seafood shows up on Holly.

And yes, there’s an avo salad; it was glorious. Lost at Sea is a 2-man effort that may finally “save” Pasadena’s restaurant scene.

Street parking on Holly. Now somebody build that 710 tunnel already FFS.

10 Likes

I’ve had a fair number of Tim’s crudo/aguachile type preparations at Papilles, all wonderful. He completely nailed it with this one.

1 Like

some of their red wine choices are questionable given their food.

Thanks for the great report @TonyC. Looks delicious.

I’ll have to try it the next time I’m in Pasadena. Thanks!

1 Like

Where’s the best mole made by a non-white chef in LA?

Right because Union is just terrible

1 Like

well, you know, this was written by a really white chica, but it holds true: Rocio’s in Bell Garden is doing mole to the best of her abilities given gringo ingredients at the price range the nabe can “sorta” afford. AND!!! You can buy a $4 bomber of Asahi from the Korean liquor store before downing chilaquiles drowned in mole negro.

1 Like

Grassyass.

1 Like

i’m very conflicted. i would still buy tony a 26 dollar mai tai anytime, but
i’m not sure i give a flying fuck what “colour” the writer of a food article is.
like, maybe bill esparza might lead me to a better tasting mole – and maybe he wouldn’t –
than, say, calvin trillin, but i’d rather read trillin’s recommendation, and there’s a good chance
its just as spot on.

Do we even consider bill esparza a writer? A food discoverer, sure, he’s one of the best around. But in terms of actual writing, I think he’d be better off just saying, “Al Pastor on Washington. Go eat it.”

1 Like

LOL @kevin lives

Unfortunately this isn’t limited to Mr. Esparza… it feels like there is a lot of #content around in which the language is functional at the very best.

And it’s why I love J Gold - regardless of what you think of his taste and specific choices (though I happen to like that part too), his writing is incredible on a purely literary/evocative level.

(i also feel compelled to acknowledge that I follow Bill’s instagram closely and skim his articles religiously - he’s an invaluable resource as an explorer and educator and the food community is better off for his contributions)

2 Likes

I love Gold’s writing too but he can be so hard to interpret (more and more, I find, these days than in the past).

For example his Cannibal review last week.

I thought it was very favorable, but hear from sources that the restaurateurs thought it was a major diss.

Does anyone know where SIV is writing these days?