Parche - Oakland

Former location of Picán and Brown Sugar Kitchen. Does this neighborhood have a name? NOGA?

Patacones could have been crisper but they were good. My favorite of the sauces was the labneh, which was reminiscent of ranch. The aji sauce was a lot like a Mexican salsa roja, criolla sauce similar to a pico de gallo.

Chia was quite good. Could have used more of the plaintain chips.

Carimañola: couldn’t taste the crab. Nice texture.

Chicken empanada was a nice bite, but $13 for six small bites? On the other hand, the overall price for the meal was reasonable but current standards.

Surprisingly austere for a Pais (aka Mission), didn’t really get much fruit at all, aromatic and sophisticated. It was a very interesting wine but didn’t really go with any of the food. The Txakolinia we drank first was a better match.

Arepa paisa was a standout.

I guess I forgot to photograph the brussels sprouts. Underseasoned, good once we got some salt to correct that.

Lechona was maybe the best dish. Good flavor and texture. Couldn’t taste the anise in the arepas. I’m not sure the leaf was there for any reason except to add some color to the presentation.

The cornbread pudding was really good. I think I’ll try to make something like that.

Burrata needed more of the sauce and more gooseberries, otherwise is was just burrata.

That was plenty of food for three, didn’t get any urge for more food at the Punchdown afterwards. Very friendly service, nice atmosphere, music was not too loud for conversation. I’m not sure I’ll go back for dinner but I’ll likely drop in for a few drinks and snacks at the bar.

1 Like