Pasadena Updates

i know of rosewood court, and hudson. rosewood is the closest to SK.

ok. they wouldn’t care about the school system, but i still find it surprising that they’d select that location because of the lack of markets accommodating their palates. there was a time, oh about 20 years ago when i thought about bringing my parents out to LA from the midwest and i automatically assumed i’d need to buy a place with an in-law suite somewhere in alhambra or monterey park to allow them to go shopping without having to get on the freeway.

as for super king, a manager at von’s once told me that SK’s prices were often below what von’s paid wholesale. i’ve often speculated that it’s a money laundering vehicle for the armenian mob. i paid $.69/lb for about 3 lbs of asparagus last week. kale invariably runs 2 bunches for a dollar. and while the quality isn’t great, they now routinely stock bok choy and napa. at least they seem to at the altadena location.

1 Like

Pilgrim Towers. They are subsidized by HUD for low to lower income seniors.

last night i saw some of food truck on colorado between altadena & san gabriel. didn’t have time to stop and investigate.

1 Like

technically altadena, but ditto for a new truck parked on ventura south of the baja ranch supermarket parking lot at the corner with fair oaks.

Guisados is in its first week of business. Our sampler platters and quesadillas our favorite) were terrific. We took home and throw the tacos in a hot cast iron pan and they warmed beautifully.

Love that we have a taco option with hand made tortillas in Pasadena.

7 Likes

on arroyo parkway for those who were wondering

Sampler and a horchata for me!

1 Like

Thx, secretasianman. Corner of California (corrected) & Arroyo Parkway where the old Dona Rosa was.

1 Like

That horchata is top tier

1 Like

I think that’s California and Arroyo Parkway?

That is correct. Corner of California & AP. Sorry! Editing above.

1 Like

another food truck of some sort was stopped on lake north of washington on west side. couldn’t see what it was offering though.

1 Like

and a truck hawking tutu’s tacos now parks on lake just south of washington in front of the smart & final.

Dirt Dog on Union in Old Town makes some good dogs, creative fries and elote. A step up from say Dog Haus.

3 Likes

this really isn’t an update but rather surprise that no one on FTC has ever mention chaaste family market on allen just south of the 210 for filipino food. try a turon - which i’d never seen offered anywhere before. your life will be changed.

6 Likes

I had to google what a turon was (banana lumpia). But, now I’m in! How is the savory food?

3 Likes

United Bread and Pastry also offers turon, although if you’re coming from near Chaaste Family Market that might be a bit of a drive for you. They also had house made bagoong I had to stop myself from buying (because we’re full up on shrimp and fish condiments at the moment).

Received a postcard mailer saying they’re now open and delivery is available through DoorDash, GrubHub, etc. but I have not been able to find them listed with the delivery companies, nor a website. Oddly, mailer only listed breakfast burritos.

i’ve only had the lumpia & turon so far which are really good, but given that they’ve been there for years i imagine it can’t be bad.

1 Like

I can vouch for both the lumpia and the savory food. I’ve mostly had the steam table stuff and don’t know the names of any of the dishes, but the one with the eggplant is good, as well as the jackfruit one. I typically get rice, one or two non-rice things from the steam table. Or pancit and loganiza, which is a great combo. The people who run it are very friendly, so don’t be scared to ask what things are.

4 Likes