Pasadena Updates

@secretasianman, @nakedsushi Do you happen to know if they have munggo? It’s a mung bean and pork dish I posted a question about a little while back. Since we’ve been stuck indoors I’ve done a little research about where to find it but I think it’s probably more common than you’d think from mentions online.

As I said in that post, I’m happy to go and eat my way through that research but if anybody has a specific recommendation I’d certainly be glad of it.

1 Like

don’t know. i do know they cater, so you might be able to negotiate their making it.

Their selections vary day by day so you’d have to call them but they did have it at least once since I’ve been there and it’s tasty!

Awesome, they’re on the list now!

Gale’s on Fair Oaks is now open for dining in house. Had some good spicy crab and shrimp ravioli last night. They seem to be taking precautions seriously.

1 Like

entre nous on green (owners formerly ran cafe beaujolais in eagle rock, surprised no one FTC has mentioned it before) is now open for dine in (50%) wed-sun 5:30-10pm.

1 Like

That looks like the old Tres Venezie space.

Do you know which iteration of Cafe Beaujolais they ran? I think Bistro de la Gare in So Pas was also opened by an ex-beaujolais owner. If it’s the same people, they seem to have a good record of setting up (and selling) French Bistros.

IIRC they sold in 2018 having been at CB for 22 years. entre nous has been there a little less than two years.

My memory is fuzzy, so I found some old Chowhound posts. Info is a bit third-hand, but apparently the original owners sold in 2004 and opened Bistro de la Gare (which has since changed into a much quieter, bit more upscale french). Anyways, if entre nous is related to any of this, it’s worth a shot.

One of the posts from Will Owen, news toward the end.

according to eater, lincoln in altadena will not be reopening, but little flower (also run by moore) still hopes to reopen some time this summer.

“I wish I could explain all the reasons , but the truth is there are too many. I have decided that Lincoln will not re-open. It has been my true and honest pleasure to serve the beautiful people that have come through the doors for the past six years. Working alongside the incredible staff has been beyond memorable and I am incredibly grateful to have had the opportunity to build this dream restaurant with my partners. More than anything I want to say thank you.”

1 Like

Lincoln was one of my favorite places to grab Sunday brunch, huge bummer.

1 Like

this should come as a surprise only to the last occupants but the building at the NW corner of colorado & san gabriel is available for lease. i couldn’t tell you what it was.

and there’s a taco truck that’s taken up residence in the parking lot just west of santa rosa on woodbury.

la estrella on foothill & altadena is open for takeout. and the arturos truck on fair oaks is still going, albeit with slightly higher prices, but that seems to be the norm. sadly, their tacos also seem to be smaller.

1 Like

Will try to write an independent post on Perle on Union in Pasadena. Quite delicious. Did both takeout and a dine outside. Felt very safe. Professional staff. GM is Roderick Daniels (Auburn, Farmshop, Redbird). I’m not so familiar with the chef, Dean Yasharian, who was working for Boulud.

The Croque Madame was delicious for takeout. For dine-in, the oysters were pristine, Provençal soup complex and perfect for a summer evening, the rib eye looked great.

Nine tables outside. Union was closing up and Perle was still busy. Great addition to Pasadena. I’ll be a regular.

https://www.perlerestaurant.com/

6 Likes

So glad to read about Perle, @chewchow - the veg side of the menu has a lot of appeal. Thanks for the report!

Randy’s Donuts is going to open on S. Lake Ave. Hmmmm.

1 Like

it’s not quite pasadena but closer to my home than the location on washington: apparently baja cali fish & taco is opening at san gabriel blvd & huntington next to klatch coffee which is replacing starbucks. i wonder if they’ll go $.99 or $1.25 for fish taco tuesdays.

according to their website, they’re also opening a branch in monrovia.

1 Like

Wasn’t there a B-Mans next to the Starbucks?

i know b-man’s is/was in that string of storefronts. there is no news of that branch closing on the b-man’s website. it may well be b-man’s is gone, but all i registered was the new baja cali sign since they’re a personal favorite. b-man’s used to donate frozen grilled chicken for dinner some 5-6 years ago, but my volunteer contact who knew byron personally left the group.

1 Like

baja cali took over subway

1 Like

I used to love B-Man’s so much. They used to hit up the Farmer’s Market in Upland on Thursday nights. I’d step off the train and grab a few plates to take home for dinner.

1 Like