Pasadena Updates

We used to eat at Gaucho grill in old town way back when.

1 Like

Long ago I ate at the location on Sunset near Crescent Heights.

1 Like

in case no one noticed. cameronā€™s (seafood) shuttered at the end of 2020 after something like 34 years. with covid, the owner decided to retire.

in-n-out is proposing to take over the space. actually, they made the proposal yesterday to the pasadena city council. it would help alleviate the congestion at the location on foothill.

some cities would love to get an in-n-out. pasadena would have two.

1 Like

Whoa! In-N-Out.

Has anyone tried U Street Pizza? Feeling like trying a new pizza place close to home.

Tried it. It was ok.

3 Likes

Went to Union tonight, started with the hamachi crudo(meh) although i liked the compressed pickled melon it overpowered the hamachi and the fish was not cut properly but the arugula salad was as solid as an arugula salad could be.

Spaghetti and meatballs made me miss Scarpetta. Bucatini puttanesca was proper but the torchetti with the pork ragu was the standout. Did a slice of the olive oil cake that was decent end to the meal rounded out with a nice bottle of Syrah.

Iā€™d still die for ANYTHING like this for a dinner option out where I live on the north end of the SFV. Such a culinary desert for something like that.

2 Likes

Such a glowing review :joy:

2 Likes

I would say itā€™s pretty good. Itā€™s no la morra but itā€™s great for the area. Try the vodka pie.

1 Like

Highly Not Recommend?

I like Pie Life if anyone needs a pizza rec in the area.

1 Like

i enjoy it - itā€™s a pretty decent new haven style pie.

1 Like

Avanti Italian Bistro and Bar (corner of Sierra Madre and Foothill Blvds) has closed; thereā€™s now a banner with ā€œCantina Urbana Kalaveras Coming Soonā€ outside.

So this place:

https://www.kalaveras.com/

Which, looking at their FB page, seems to be doing major expansion with lots of new locations opening.

Note this at the bottom of the online menu for the Whittier location, ā€œGratuity will be added for bills exceeding $200.ā€

Agnes :heart:

1 Like

Well, I think they are a bit more continental than just steak. When I was younger people used to joke that Hitler was alive and living in Argentina. Turns out actually a lot of Italians moved to Argentina. So Malbec, in addition to steak, has Italian and other European dishes (hence the Galeā€™s comparison). Not saying itā€™s the best, but they work at it.

i saw the eater article about argentine pizza.

my personal expectation is if a restaurant takes a name after a wine/grape appellation, the menu will be crafted with an eye towards the entrees pairing well with the wine mentioned. when i see ā€œmalbecā€ i think wine, and malbec pairs well, if not best, with red meat. granted, some cheeses pair well with malbec but i canā€™t think of too many entrees consisting primarily of cheese. itā€™d be like going to an AYCE brazilian BBQ but just eating from the salad bar for me.

Yes, a lot of good malbec comes from Argentina. On a related note, I see that the re-invented Gaucho Grill is going to have some vegetarian options. But when I think of gauchos, I think of red meat.

turns out there was one fatality - and the shooters are going to trial in pasadena this week. two guys shot a couple sitting in a car in the parking lot. again, something you just donā€™t expect in that part of pasadenaā€¦ i wonder if it had any impact on business.

2 Likes

Semi-random, but the BC Donuts in that strip mall makes an appearance in The Donut King.

1 Like

Luscious Dumplings (not sure which faction) opened up last week on Madison.

3 Likes

Iā€™m finding a Masonā€™s Dumplings on Madison: