Pasadena Updates

same family; i believe mason’s is second generation

1 Like

Mason’s is legit good. Their Highland Park location cranks out really great jiaozi and bao.

2 Likes

It’s a ghost kitchen so I assume it’s takeaway only? I worry about travel for buns and dumplings. I’m going to be in Pasadena in 2 weeks and would love to check out mason’s.

1 Like

Same family but as I recall there was some kind of big fight about the “Luscious Dumplings” moniker.

1 Like
2 Likes

Akbar catered a party of mine when they were located in Chinatown. Super tasty.

3 Likes

Does that mean the Chinatown location is closed? That building there is a bit cursed. Not much happening or lasts. Walmart was there for a hot minute. I know there was outcry when Walmart announced they were moving in, but for my non driving mom, it was a fantastic addition to the neighborhood. Disconsolate does not come close to describing her reaction when they closed. When she called to break the news, I thought she was going to tell me someone in the family passed!

tacos poncitlan finally opened their new branch on allen a block north of the high school. their altadena location did not close, however.

Saw this while walking around Old Town Pas. Anyone w/ intel? An internet search shows an IG and webpage (http://bksq.com) and that it’s the same people behind “Mike’s Deli” (which I’ve never heard of).

Anybody been to Bun Bun Bao across from PCC?

i pass by regularly and don’t feel any inclination to try it. there’s a menu available on their website and prices on pics of the menu on yelp.

WHAT??!?! I’m so happy for Mike!

Mike’s deli is a Windsor Park institution, they also have an outpost near Little Tokyo to cater to all the city hall business. Best sandwich plates in town.

Right at the start of the pandemic, they started the build Mike’s Pizzeria in Ladera and they opened in the fall of 2020. They specialize in Slices and BIG pizzas. I went shortly after opening because this area is seriously lacking even decent pizza…

All in all, it was okay… Loved the toppings and like their deli, they LOAD them up… but the crust was industrial.

The winner however was their Grandma slice… Great crust and toppings. The sauce is 100% housemade and delicious.

This was literally a month after opening… Late 2020. I haven’t been back because slices aren’t my usual lunch choice, but I have been recommending them to friends in the area and they have all raved. Then I caught this picture on their insta recently and noticed… More Grandma pies and even the traditional pies look worlds better!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZU6K-3Podn/

Not sure about the slice options in Pasadena… I would not put this in the league of Vitos and Pizza Wagon… but I’m sure they will do well…

–Dommy!

3 Likes

Pie Life is a very decent slice in Pasadena…

2 Likes

Very good slice. I would go 1-2 times per week when I was working in Pasadena.

Had Pie Life over the summer and I thought it was pretty damn good!

I think U Street has also gotten positive reviews?

I’ll just say that I tried U Street, and leave it at that.

4 Likes

1 Like

Always have loved the diversity of opinions on this board.

3 Likes

Yeah, as long as everyone can agree to disagree, LOL!

2 Likes