Pasadena Updates

Yeah cause it’s Starbucks

4 Likes

Sounds about right. I bought two lattes yesterday at a “staff meeting” at Boy and the Bear and I paid like $13 with tip.

2 Likes

And B&tB has been around for a while. The new places with higher rents need to charge more.

Prime Pizza in Altadena is now open.

1900 Allen Ave,
Altadena, CA 91001

4 Likes

Tepito has lowered their coffee prices about $1 across the board. They changed from pour overs to some other method and made adjustments.

What’s your favorite bakery for cakes in Pasadena?

I really like Frances Patisserie. No website available.

7 Likes

Thanks @attran99!

The Yelp reviews & photos are yummy.

2 Likes

When I asked about custom cakes, they directed me to their instagram.

But this is an old-fashioned 90s pedigree place, I bet they have fat three-ring binder behind the counter.

3 Likes

Thanks! Lol, yes, there’s photos of the binders on Yelp.

2 Likes

Highly recommend their Mont Blanc cake!

2 Likes

Looks like the newest occupants of that building at the northwest corner of Colorado and San Gabriel boulevards will be another outpost of Kabuki Restaurants. (According to the site they have two other locations in Pasadena, in Old Town and on Foothill in where Panera and Islands are located.)

2 Likes

Breakfast at Wake and Late yesterday at the corner of Colorado and Oakland. Huge space with indoor seating to come, as well as what appears to be deli services.

This is a rip-and-dip style bagel place that:

1. Serves currently only three bagel options (plain, parm, chocolate (the DTLA menu says sweet onion, but Pasadena had chocolate))

2. Requires a two-bagel minimum;

3. Which in turn requires a two-spread minimum (lox, scallion, plain from what I remember).

Is this the LA-style bagel? 24-hour fermentation that was sour, buttery, and crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The bagel tasted somewhere between its inspiration and a baguette. Freshly baked (so had the texture of a toasted number).

The bagel was great, but I’m still partial to the east coast variety as practiced by Maury’s.

I have not had the breakfast burritos, but seems like this is how Wake and Late built up its reputation.

I dunno— that looks more like a roll than a bagel to me and fluffy on the inside?? yeesh. Thanks for taking one for the team

1 Like

there is onion, I got it last week in Pasadena , it’s bomb!

Spreads they have

Creme cheese - plain, scallion (really good), lox, strawberry
butter - honeycomb (really good) and sometimes cinnamon

I don’t really care for their burritos as they are tiny but the bagels oh man, I am so down for.

Just hate that they have the two spread min for two bagels. Basically means I’m paying $15-16 each time I order two bagels.

1 Like

tried the bagels in DTLA today. they’re quite good. distinctly “bagel” as opposed to “bread roll”. if it wasn’t ~$8/bagel (after spreads), I’d probably make this a regular thing.

2 Likes

Damn foodflation is real but it sounds really good!

Haha looks like they got that concept from Popup Bagels in NYC.

Not sure if there is a definitive LA style but I would maybe put Courage/Maury’s as “LA” style.

Definitely leans more toward bagel, yeah. But I want capers and cucumbers and all that. I wonder if they will add those toppings to their spreads as a custom option?

I know Maury’s bagels are smaller (a little) than any I had while living in NYC (thinking your standard Bergen Bagel-type place; opens at 4am, very pedestrian coffee, but ubqiuitous), but they still read East Coast to me.

And for Courage, well, I could never muster up the patience to stand in line that long. Is it really so different from their Montreal inspirations? But I’m all unfounded hesitation since I have not yet tried.

One thing they have in common and could be an “LA” thing is the absence of Pumpernickel. Why can’t I get a good pumpernickel bagel on the east side? Brooklyn Bagel Co. makes them, and it was close, but…

The rip-and-dip thing feels LA–or a certain kind of LA–to me because it’s not trying to adhere to a regional/historical form. But I could see myself arguing conversely, too.