Pasadena Updates

WELCOME TO THE IGNORE LIST BUDDY

5 Likes

Rip

3 Likes

Ming’s Tasty Chinese Food serving traditional Sichuan style cuisine has opened on Orange Grove Blvd. at Los Robles. I find this location strange since it’s right by Villa Parke, an area characterized in a recent, long Los Angeles Times article as a high crime area with an especially high rate of gun violence. The restaurant is in a recently constructed mixed use building, so I guess the area is gentrifying. But I sure wouldn’t want to eat dinner there.

Anybody know anything about WAH SING DIM SUM on San Gabriel in San Gabriel? Drove by and saw the sign. Looks like more of a take out joint.

New Chinese restaurant opening in North East Pasadena in Hastings Ranch. Taking over the old Colette spot. Very… interesting spot for a Chinese restaurant. Don’t know what they are serving yet, all I saw was a neon sign with their characters while driving home.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Who’d have thought!!

1 Like

No kidding! Had them yesterday!

Ube Banana Turon & Egg Rolls from Chaaste Family Market

Didn’t know what to expect as I’ve only had savory lumpia, but :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Sweet, smooth, creamy, ube filling with soft pieces of banana & sweet, crackling glaze on crispy wrappers! :hearts:

Egg Rolls

Sorry, as much as I love egg rolls I didnt make it past the turon to try these lol.

10 Likes

Love that spot. The brothers that run it are great

2 Likes

JS FOOTHILL
Hastings Ranch
Smells like :dumpling: dim sum

1 Like

I forgot about everything else when I saw the pic of the meat-sauce spaghetti! :slight_smile:

Anyone been to Bone Kettle?

Not in a long time. Pre-pandemic. Report back if any goes.

Bone Kettle is as good as ever. Did take-out (once) during the pandemic and was disappointed, but it must have been a glitch. We love the oxtail with our noodles and soup, and the portions (of both oxtail and noodles) seem, if anything, bigger than they used to be. I’ve started getting a bowl of rice instead of noodles so I can consume less starch and not have to take home soggy noodle leftovers; the oxtail with all it’s garnishes is great with a little rice and the leftover broth is handy for keeping in the freezer for future soup-making (and I keep and freeze our oxtail bones as well, to add to my collection of soup bones).The place remains very popular, so I’d recommend reservations.

Is this the mildly upscale-ish SE-Asian-ish place in Old Town? If so, partner went (possibly during the pandemic) and thought it was pretty good.

I also might’ve gone, but, if so, I have no memory of my impressions (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

yep

1 Like
2 Likes

I like the place. It has a nice vibe. I have no idea what the rent might be. I just know that the coffee is not cheap. A latte is IIRC $6.72 (with tax).

2 Likes

I think $6-$7 is going rate for lattes now. Especially at new shops.

2 Likes

You are probably correct although I got a latte at Starbucks this week for $4.75.