Pasjoli - Santa Monica

The serveware looks beautiful from @PorkyBelly’s pictures. I am seriously into that kind of thing. Might even make me trek to Santa Monica.

Love service included restaurants, but it hasn’t worked for most restauranteurs, which is why most abandon it. First, you have consumers bitching about the menu prices. And the principal purpose of service included is to be able to pay cooks and dishwashers more since there are legal issues with including back of the house in the tip pool. But by paying back of the house more, you usually end up paying servers slightly less, which leads to servers leaving for other restaurants. And to those restaurant goers who say your menu prices are too high and your business expenses are of no interest to me and for God’s sake don’t talk to me about your healthcare premiums because you’re running the business and that’s your problem and you are probably making obscene amounts of money anyway, I saw welcome to fantasyland.

4 Likes

forgot to mention, each main course also includes a side dish

2 Likes

Interestingly, the laws have recently changed to allow BOH staff to participate. But it appears nobody has found a workable solution yet.

Source: Tip Pooling With Back-Of-House Is IN (in Most States); Manager and Supervisor Tip-Sharing Is OUT | Employment Advisor | Davis Wright Tremaine

Wrong as regards California. “Employees may be included in the tip pool only if they are in the ‘chain of service’ that results in a tip from a particular customer. In general, servers, bartenders, hosts, and bussers are considered to be in the chain of service, while cooks, dishwashers, and cashiers are not.”

Nobody has found a workable solution because the law isn’t as clear as the author states and no one wants to be a test case.

There have been test cases. What Nolo describes is mostly case law that resulted from them rather than the text of the California Labor Code.

Chef Beran does a great job with the tableside prep of the canard à la Rouennaise à la presse…

If you want this dish here, I’d highly advise you pre-order, as they are selling like hotcakes. I doubt anyone else is doing this duck prep in L.A. (not to mention the West Coast)…

7 Likes

Trois Mec and Republique have duck presses.

Yes they have the device, but I’m not sure if they use the tableside Bordelaise sauce prep (a la Escoffier)…

What is that card? How many presses the machine has gone through?

Also, for us plebs:

The centerpiece was the Caneton Rouennais a la Presse — which as described in Escoffier (Recipe 3476) — calls for roast duckling served with a reduction of brandy, red wine, plus duck jus extracted from a nickel-plated press. (The antique duck press was purchased from a restaurant in Maine for several thousand dollars.) Beran cooked the duck sous vide in an immersion circulator, before theatrically carving it tableside. He reduced with cognac in place of brandy, and grilled the legs.

Dubbed “Escoffier” for short, “Le Guide Culinaire” is Textbook One of French gastronomy and points in a general direction rather than offering turn-by-turn maps.

3 Likes

@kevinEats would be so proud of you for getting a chef-ograph!

4 Likes

It’s the duck’s serial number a la la tour d’argent

Duck, especially the pressed duck, is the speciality (Canard à la presse, Caneton à la presse, Caneton Tour d’Argent, and recently renamed “Caneton de Frédéric Delair”).[9] The restaurant raises its ducks on its own farm. Diners who order the duck receive a postcardwith the bird’s serial number, now well over 1 million.[10] (Serial number #112,151 went to U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, #203,728 went to Marlene Dietrich, and #253,652 went to Charlie Chaplin).[11]

5 Likes

is the $150 duck really that good?

A good question…

I’d set the “FOMO alarm” for this dish at 3 out of a possible 10 (10 being eternal regret transcending multiple reincarnations). But if you want Chef Beran’s undivided attention for 5+ minutes at your tableside, then the FOMO alarm in this case would be 4 out of 10.

3 Likes

Indeed, I actually added onto the gratuity as well during my Hayato visit. The service is at least :v:t2: blings level. (I’d imagine the fellas would tip more if there were a certified somm / okamisan in a kimono :kimono: okamisomm?)

1 Like

Now the $165 duck and on pace to be the $670 duck by the end of the year.

4 Likes

#felonyduck. ?

3 Likes

thon a la provencale - marinated tuna, tomato concasse, yogurt
like a tomato and tuna tartare. nice balance of acid and fat.

pate en croute - madeira, pickled carrot, mustard
Pretty textbook. The forcemeat was cold, firm, and on the lean side.

crevettes et palourdes - spot prawns and clams, bloomsdale spinach, sauce nantua
Similar to a shrimp bisque. this had prawns 3 ways: in the sauce nantua, cut up, and whole. the prawns were incredible and cooked perfectly and eating this with the bread and rouille/aioli sauce was great.

coquelet farci et champagne - whole young chicken, champagne chicken jus, byaldi
i’m fond of feasting on fledgling fowl. this baby was deboned, stuffed and rolled like a la taqueria mission burrito. the :baby_chick: was incredibly moist, tender and juicy throughout. the sweet caramelized vegetables in the byaldi complemented the rich and savory champagne sauce perfectly. i enjoyed this more than the the compressed duck. highlight of the night @TheCookie, @Chowseeker1999, @Bookwich, @Omotesando, @Hungrydrunk, @J_L, @attran99, @aaqjr, @paranoidgarliclover

fromage - epoisses de bourgogne, almond, honey fig
#kingofcheeses this actually came with a jam from the finicky greengage plum.

9 Likes

FTC meet up so we can order both the duck and the chicken? That’s a lot of food just for two dishes. Looks amazing!

5 Likes

are we ordering one chicken each? i don’t think i want to share.

3 Likes