Pasjoli - Santa Monica

It’s just an introduction to a photo spread. Often those are written from press releases without the author even taking a look at the place.

From the dining room looking into the fray, everyone seems to be happy, but stoic.

Uh … does he know what “stoic” means?

4 Likes

Yeah, that word struck me as completely atonal.

1 Like

Everyone looks happy as they stoically endure the pain and hardship of dining at Pajoli.

2 Likes

Read it like an ASMR video.

1 Like

from the yelps

I would rather pay the pairing cost at Dialogue or bring my own bottles (even at $50 corkage) than pay the prices on that wine list.

FYI, I got excellent wine service at Bon Temps for $35/bottle.

3 Likes

Are the markups that bad?

Kind of standard in the sense that many are 3x retail, but say it’s a $150 bottle, you are literally paying a $300 markup, no thanks. But hey, this is how wine is often sold in LA restaurants.

1 Like

Lots more pasjoli tables open on Resy now…

1 Like

Pasjoli also will accommodate walk-ins if tables are available but the bar and high-tops are appetizer only service, no mains. Of course, I could make a meal of the appetizers easily (the scallop quenelle in caviar beurre blanc was a definite highlight). By the way, your point about reserving the canard a la presse in advance is well-taken–I was told they have been selling out of it most nights.

2 Likes

really? i was told the full menu is available at the bar.

Agree with NewTrial. We were told that the bar would only serve non-mains for now.

Pasjoli, Bon Temps, Auburn. I’m loving this French revival going on in LA, this time with a serious focus on pastry.

2 Likes

confirmed, which wasn’t the case when they first opened. i wonder why they would limit walk-in/bar customers like that. higher turnover?

2 Likes

Maybe the plats are more work for the kitchen and they don’t have the staff to handle making them for the bar.

I suspect the chef/kitchen is being conservative with workload, as the restaurant is likely still searching for its flow. (Pasjoli hasn’t even been opened for a month yet.)

1 Like

foie de poulet a la strasbourgeoise - chicken liver, brioche, truffle
like a fancy toad in a hole but instead of a chicken egg, there’s chicken liver. the liver wasn’t as creamy or spreadable like foie but pretty close. i really liked the shallot/truffle jam that it came with.

ragout d’oignons caramelises - caramelized onion, gruyere, pate brisee
this was like a soup-less french onion soup inside of a crispy tart. delicious. @TheCookie

carre d’agneau du rhone - rack of lamb, olive and lamb jus, artichokes and grapes
this came with the chops and a piece of the loin underneath. i really liked the side of fennel(?) dates, pine nuts and grapes that paired nicely with the meat. but hot lamb!, the highlight of the dish was the fatty, tender, crispy morsel sitting on top of the chop like a meaty french beret. God bless ewe.

fruits du marche - whipped anglaise, lemon shortbread
thomcord grapes, figs, passion fruit, blackberries , blueberries

9 Likes

I can’t take it! I must!

Thank you for posting the menu w/dishes, prices, etc. The website has nothing on it but “Reservation” which takes you to Resy, which only has this statement below about Dialogue. Huh?

“A destination in and of itself, Michelin-starred Dialogue will leave you nothing short of breathless with its singular tasting menu, imagined by Alinea vet and James Beard Award-winning chef Dave Beran.”

Okay, thanks. :roll_eyes:

1 Like