Pearl River Deli - Chinatown

The Hainan Chicken, Lemongrass Pork Chop, and Hakka Pork Belly is coming back this weekend. (Thursday to Sunday, Hainan Chicken starting Friday).

3 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks for the report back. So glad you liked both of the specials! :slight_smile: Bummer they forgot the nuoc mam for your takeout order!

It was definitely included for our order (and my friend’s order as well). You should let them know (to improve for the future).

That Pork Chop though
 so juicy right? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used to joke that I could break an elbow and my mom would blame it on “yeet hay”! Every malady in life is attributable to “yeet hay”.

2 Likes

Damn straight. Have you ever asked her what “yeet hay” is?

1 Like

J Lou (YouTube Vlogger, half HK Chinese) has a rather comedic approach to explaining Yeet Hay briefly and proceeds to eat some of the most yeet hayest food to see what happens

It’s one of those experiences where if you say, eat too many deep fried greasy oily foods certain things could happen in your body, like the development of canker sores along the inside of your mouth, or the insides of your mouth wall lining could inflate and you eat something thinking you are savoring each bite and you end up tearing or biting a bit of the insides of your cheek/mouth. Then there’s the theory of pimples being induced.

Conversely if someone drinks too much boba, cold drinks, eat foods deemed “cold”, it could have some negative effects especially for females.

I guess it depends if you are prone to reactions to food. Some also say certain foods induce or proliferate particular allergies.

As J Lou hilariously illustrates, it’s one of those things where older generation parents would “lecture” their kids for eating certain unhealthy junk foods but in a bit of a more extreme and controlling/guilt tripping way. So it is tongue in cheek by saying “yeet hay life” for the Canto or Chinese Americans who grew up with 0 or 1st gen parents that do the same to them, and now the kids are adults and can do and eat whatever unhinged.

In a way by definition, a lot of FTCers are living the Yeet Hay life too. The people who have it the worst are the old masters who do wok stir fry and inhaling all those yeet hay smokey goodness when they cook (they have special drinks to combat that).

5 Likes

All the dang summer stone fruits too (esp cherries :sob:) 
 & durian - King of Yeet Hay

3 Likes

“Don’t so eat much durian or you’ll get sore throat!”

2 Likes

That’s why it’s good (and tasty!) to eat durian with a nice cold glass of beer (cold qi) to balance it out.

Mangosteen is the classic (qi) accompaniment + salt water drunk out of the shell.

Or go with the classic “24 Flavors”

IMG_6458_R-e1555853410915

4 Likes

This is one of the examples where I’ve told my mom that the remedy is worse than the symptom.

3 Likes

Haha

My mom used to make use drink that because me and my siblings had pretty bad acne as teenagers. Absolutely horrible. I wouldn’t wish that on anybody. So bitter. I probably made the same face that Lao Gan Ma makes

2 Likes

Because “yeet hay”. Duh! It’s the only plausible explanation of every malignant conditions that we ever suffer, says every Canto mother in the universe.

7 Likes

“I’ve got 99 problems but 24 flavors is one”

I got my mind on my mangosteen and my mangosteen on my mind.

1 Like

Oh man I was just thinking about how my uncle lovingly made me drink this when I was living in HK for a bit.

1 Like

How about its brotha from another motha ha foo cho (ć€æžŻè‰)? It also “clears the heat”! Whatever that means!

I had to drink that shit all the time

Hey, you’re a cool guy now, right? So it must have done something good
 ;-D

2 Likes

There are more tastier ways to “clear heat”

Sweet Mung Bean Soup

Watermelon

Or if you are lazy get some grass jelly dessert at Meet Fresh

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDkGyikD_D4/

2 Likes