Pearl River Deli - Chinatown

Y’all so Los Angeles…I was planning to visit PRD sans car. I was planning one week without a car and the second week with one. But I just got yelled at by my mom so I booked a car for the first week too. I’m now down to one day without a car–still planning go to Chinatown by Gold Line. In worst case scenario, I do the Asian squat?

2 Likes

These are the seats in front of PRD . I was just there today. No benches upstairs.

9 Likes

Thank you for recon info.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! I’ve been buying from prd & Amboy when I go then sit by their setup.

Need a 3 legged stool for that! My grandfather had one very similar to the attached pic from México that would be perfect for that little table. Easy to transport and go.

8 Likes

We’ve taken it to Los Angeles state historic park up the street and had a great picnic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMDRZ7-ANoI/?igshid=ag7o3462qbrz

4 Likes

Weekend special update:

Didn’t do the Pho Ga, but got the Poached Brown Chicken and Banh Khot.

Poached Brown Chicken

I was hoping for a little Hainan Chicken magic, but unfortunately this was hit and miss. The dark meat was tough and hard to chew–not sure if that was the intention because it’s a different kind of chicken–but it wasn’t like the dark meat from the Hainan Chicken. The white meat was better, but still not quite as juicy and tender as the aforementioned Hainan Chicken. Maybe I shouldn’t be comparing the two because they’re different dishes and the chicken was intended to be in the Pho Ga, but that’s what I was hoping for :man_shrugging:

IMG_6339

Banh Khot

Now this on the other hand… :fire: :fire: :fire: These mini savory pancakes topped with either shrimp or pork, wrapped up in butter lettuce with herbs, and dunked in nuoc mam were incredibly delicious. Each one is a single bite, so you’ve got 10 shots total–or you just snag multiple orders. Don’t miss this.

IMG_6338

13 Likes

The Banh Khot were spectacular. Highly, highly recommend.

2 Likes

The brown chicken is my favorite!

5 Likes

Death Match! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

I like the new look!

7 Likes

A few fellow FTCers and I were able to try some upcoming dishes currently being worked on, as focus shifts toward items that had to be put on the back burner because they were meant for consumption immediately and on-site.

Locally Caught Ridgeback Prawns with Ginger Scallion Soy Dipping Sauce

Razor Clams

Lamb Claypot

Chicken and Lap Cheong Claypot Rice

Steamed Kinki
Highlight. Tragic that it had to be shared with three other people. (jk <3 u guys :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)

Buddha’s Delight (Fresh water chestnuts, snap peas, bean curd skins, mushroom, celtuce, Taishan cauliflower, shallots, and mung bean noodle)

Doufu Fa with Cinnamon Ginger Syrup
I would never have the coughs if my syrup tasted like this. Available this weekend for takeout!

Calamansi Cream Pie from Lasita provided by Laroolou
Special thanks to @attran99 for the pie pick up.

23 Likes

The NY Times agrees that Chinatown is one of the best places to eat. PEEEE ARRRR DEEEEE!

17 Likes

Amazing to see substantive NYT piece on Chinatown. I hope they provide a Chinese version of the article soon. Not doing so will be a huge miss by NYT.

4 Likes

I said this already

8 Likes

This sounds and looks like a better version of the lamb bing I had at Bing Bar in Vegas.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CSxpFxJle3m/?utm_medium=copy_link

7 Likes

Indeed. Legendary chef lineup:

Chefs
Chef Boyardee ------------------&-----------Chef PRD

4 Likes

Finally made it here for a late breakfast.

So good. Best to eat immediately.

All good but, damn, those noodles. The best I’ve had of that style.

14 Likes

Did you get a chance to say Hello to Sergio at PRD?

I don’t know.

Good luck everybody

3 Likes