Pearl River Deli - Chinatown

Ehh he literally just said he was pivoting away from the hainan chicken so I reckon that won’t happen, but what do I know.

Tangentially: I’m not enjoying all these closures or whatever this is. Three spots that at various times I regularly frequented gone in a week :frowning:

10 Likes

and the führer of fowl is back after six weeks.

14 Likes

I support this restaurant bringing back their best dish.

prd going less casual

14 Likes

Smart

4 Likes

r.i.p. to this version…

3 Likes

Tasting-menu-only?

1 Like

Given their location doesn’t have a lot of foot traffic and not a ton of nightlife, IMO dinner tasting menu service through the prepaid ticket route could work similar to what Needle was doing during the pandemic. If you can get enough variety to keep enough repeat customers coming back it could be sustainable? Even if you’re just cycling through different dishes + something seasonal it can keep the interest higher for more repeat visits. If I see an interesting dish being featured on social media for an upcoming tasting menu that’s a good hook to get me to come in. But there has to enough of a total meal experience to make it worth the trip downtown, which was what kept me from visiting more in the 2.0 era. If you give me a rotating menu near the scope of a chinese banquet or Anajack’s tasting menu, in PRD’s style I’d be really interested in making the trip and having a fixed menu and start times might make it workable to run. If so they’d benefit from a beer/wine license, but there’s added risk and cost in making a wine pairing experience work well.

6 Likes

I wonder if Qin West and Howlin’ Rays will be enough for Chinatown to retain its status as most exciting place to eat in LA.

It’s definitely going to be tough if that’s ultimately what occurs. It’s a completely different service profile not just for staff but for presentation and plating. Can’t just taste good it also has to look good. Anajak went through so many forms of its tasting menu until it hit what it is right now and they were able to hide in plain sight cause they weren’t doing many of the tasting menus.

If PRD 3.0 is right out the gate a banquet menu only, it’s going to need to be super focused out the gate.

3 Likes

for the “new school” places in Chinatown, there’s still Lasita, Amboy, Waxpaper Co, Burgerlords, Angry Egret Dinette, Steep, Little Jewel of New Orleans, the best pour over and espresso at Endorffeine. There’s also Corridor 109 for now.

8 Likes

Feel like they’ll also need a liquor license to make the dinner tasting format work?

1 Like

Yeah I agree with everything you said. I’m also unsure how a regular dinner menu could work for them, there’s gotta be an extra hook. Otherwise they could have just expanded to dinner hours with their existing setup. I hope they find something that works, because I love what they do!

1 Like

Does Amboy still sell meat or do they only do burgers/food now?

not sure…i’ll check the next time i’m there

IIRC, they still did both when I went a few weeks ago.

1 Like

I do like Lasita and Endorffeine. Haven’t tried any of the others.

1 Like

and the führer of fowl is back after six months.

who bet the under?

6 Likes

PRD 12/22 - Hainan chicken has become a creative crutch and has taken over the identity of the restaurant

PRD 6/23 -

5 Likes

Glad he’s leaning in. Just play the hits!

5 Likes