Perfect Pasta: five ways to cook it right by Luciano Monosilio

Since I’ve been cooking pasta for over 40 years, I was surprised how much I had to learn about it. After watching this and a few other Italia Squisita videos, I’m never cooking it the same way again.

Gabriele Perilli clearly shows the “thickening” (mantecando) step…

6 Likes

I’ve only watched the first two (so far) and wow! Thank you SO much for sharing this, robert.

1 Like

The lack of response to this tells me a lot about the focus of this board. Sad.

1 Like

It is very nice! It’s just hard to say it better than it was said in the video

Sheesh. I saved the link to the notes folder on my phone so I can look at the videos when I have enough time to watch 5 videos as the first one I opened was 22 minutes long. Within the last 24 hours I’d just viewed a long article about how to get sauce to adhere to pasta. Tomorrow’s another day.

Okay, you get complete absolution :slight_smile: Care to share the article about sauce sticking?!?

I am not sure what you expect anybody to comment on techniques already well known - there wasn’t anything new in the videos

Well, color me uneducated :slight_smile: I learned a lot.

1 Like

Which technique was new to you in any of the videos ?

Can’t find it but the gist was to add butter to the sauce creating an emulsion that aids in the ‘sticking’. The starch in reserved pasta cooking water can help too.

1 Like

As we say in the South, “Don’t worry your pretty little head about it.”

Who knows how many recipes I read that talked about “saltare in padella” and using pasta water, but I didn’t have a clue that you could thicken a sauce like that.