Petit Trois Le Valley

4 Likes

That’s gross. Is there any reason to specify that other than the restaurant being able to keep some portion of it when it’s not a “gratuity”?

That said, still a damn fine baguette

1 Like

It would be interesting to know how far above the minimum wage their “equitable wages” are.

Actually nothing sketchy about it. Restaurants do that in an effort to try to equalize wages between back of the house and front of the house. If the amount left is not a gratuity, the amount can be shared with back of the house no question. Otherwise cutting back of the house in on gratuities is legally questionable.

3 Likes

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: Restaurant surcharges & service charges: threat or menace?

they have been entirely unable to retain decent talent in the valley. they’ve gone through about 6 managers since the pandemic started. my guy jose is still there, but he’s the only busser and now server who is left from pre pandemic. the host the last time i went in was so lost it was a joke.

3 Likes

I am not sure if this is a reflection of this restaurant or even the restaurant industry. In many other areas, e.g. tech, biotech etc the turnover rate in any company is significantly higher compared to pre-covid.

2 Likes

it’s one thing not to retain servers, not a great sign but it is a high turn over industry but going through 6 managers in that time is def not a good look.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Jon & Vinny’s - Beverly Hills

Well there’s answer. Interesting. And a real bummer to hear as I like that place…

So no longer affiliated with Jon & Vinny’s, but no change to the opaque service-charge language.

1 Like

Recently had a very tasty, albeit somewhat overpriced, dinner at PT Valley. Service was knowledgeable and quite good. Pacing was a bit off, but otherwise a perfectly enjoyable dinner.

Then the check comes. Waitress states “You’ll note some language circled on the bottom of the bill. An 18% charge is included which goes to healthcare and other costs. If you’d like to tip more on top of that which goes to the staff, you can.” So there’s basically a polite verbal shakedown for additional tips above the 18…. Pretty damn lame and leaves a bad taste in one’s mouth after an otherwise great meal. (I actually felt bad for the waitress having to say that tacky script.).

7 Likes

It’s highly unlikely that management asked them to say state it. They say it because it benefits them directly.

Management often does ask servers to say something like that so that people don’t tip without knowing about the service charge.

I’m all for the expectation that waitstaff announce the included gratuity/service charge. I get pretty peeved when they don’t. I’m really not for them shaking customers down for addl tips beyond that included charge though…

2 Likes

Update on the charge:

Today we are implementing one of the first changes you will see on your next visit to Petit Trois. We are transitioning from the previous 18% service charge to a 4% surcharge. This surcharge will continue to help provide a range of benefits for our entire team. And, like before, any gratuity that you choose to leave will be shared in its entirety with all of the hourly employees responsible for making your experience a memorable one.

10 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0XAqIpr2hk/

3 Likes

steak frites are good

hanger steak, caramelized shallots, frites

7 Likes