Pick up options in the San Fernando Valley

Some of my favorite restaurants have had some pretty weak renditions of their food for pick up. I think restaurants are having a problem maintaining quality control for pick up.

Can anyone recommend restaurants where the food is still really good for pick up in the San Fernando Valley?

2 Likes

Hi @jrandall,

Welcome to FTC! :slight_smile:

We’ve really enjoyed:

Enjoy!

1 Like

Chiang Mai Thai kitchen, prime pizza, sugarfish

1 Like

Katsu-ya Northridge is doing takeout. Got it a couple weeks ago.

Tried a couple of places in SFV over the weekend, and was very impressed by both:

Anajak Thai Cuisine
The Brothers Sushi

Khaosan Street Thai is pretty good.
https://eatkhaosanthai.com/

Shin Sushi is great!

Apey Kade’s food continues to be spectacular. Even better, it travels well and keeps well.

5 Likes

I am sure one of our better researchers will correct me, but this may be the first shout-out for Sri Lankan cuisine on FTC LA! Certainly the first I recall.

2 Likes

+1 for Apey Kade. Nicest people there too.

3 Likes

our resident sri lankan, @thechez5, recommended it.

5 Likes

A search turns up 9 previous mentions of Apey Kade (10 if you count the LA Times list)…and quite a few references to Sri Lankan, including other restaurants (Baja Subs, Kurrypinch, Cafe Lanka)

Yes, over a year after James Gordon wrote about Apey Kade for LA Weekly and seven months after another article on Apey Kade someone else wrote for the LA Weekly :wink:

2 Likes

Have you tried it?
Looks good

Indeed, I have :smiley: :wink: …and it is. I especially love the fruit curries.

I’m probably not the only one from FTC who went there when it was under the previous ownership (also nice folks) and known as Curry Bowl.

3 Likes

They made a killer Dungeness crab curry

2 Likes

I have never heard of this and may need to try it.

And I did indeed go when it was the Curry Bowl (which I think was some time btw 2004-2008?).

1 Like

Most common is a jackfruit curry, but I’ve also had a green apple curry from the lunch buffet. Those are favorites of mine, as is the “devil” chicken and the king mackerel. It’s difficult to single out dishes, really.

I think it was Curry Bowl through some time in 2010. I didn’t get there the first time until April 2009.

1 Like

Sam Woo BBQ
Sri Siam
Takatis

• at 2pm on a Thursday it was still a 20 minute wait for Bills Burgers

• Drove by Salsa & Beer, pickup line was at least 20 deep socially distanced.

• Chiang Mai Thai Kitchen for glorious Thai sausage khao soi

2 Likes

They also have mango and pineapple curries from time to time.

1 Like

Some of my favorites are
Brent’s Deli Northridge
Mandarin Deli in Northridge
Boiling Crab Woodland Hills
West Hills Pizza

4 Likes