Pillowy, Soft Mochi! The Two Neighboring Japanese Confectioneries: Sakura-Ya and Chikara Mochi

Aww, I’m glad that I followed in your mom’s footsteps, @bulavinaka. That’s remarkable that she made her own!

You’re a trailblazer - while she was proficient at ikebana, she never.picked up a camera. :blush:

2 Likes

LOL. I wish I was proficient at ikebana, @bulavinaka. One of my aunties in Japan was an ikebana and tea ceremony instructor.

Well my weapon of choice is my aged iPhone 5S… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I think your iPhone 5S has a better camera than does my 5C (!). But not so much better that I can blame the quality in my pics vs. your pics on technology. ::sigh:: I do think you have a very good eye for food photography.

3 Likes

Thanks for your kind words, @paranoidgarliclover, and I do enjoy your photos. Your homemade boule in particular springs to mind - quite impressive. My two resolutions this year were to improve my photography and learn to cook Japanese food. It’s been going okay so far.

2 Likes

It’s not made in-house, but the West LA branch of Mitsuwa is selling Nagasaki Castella/Casutella/Kastella. The prices range from $9.99 - $12.99. There’s also a matcha flavor. They’re on the long tables outside of the market itself, closest to Kinokuniya (the bookstore) and the bakery. I can’t vouch for the quality of these cakes since I haven’t tried them yet. However, the best castellas are at J.sweets in the Torrance branch of Mitsuwa and are seasonally available. Hope this helps.

1 Like