Pizza - recipes, equipment, tips & techniques

First time using ooni, tjs dough. I think it turned out ok for a first time. Will def be using different dough next time.

How do you guys get the center more well cooked without burning the top?

3 Likes

Just putting this out here, mod can delete if inappropriate but I’m selling my natural gas pizza oven the pizza party adore. Dm of interested

2 Likes

Looks great for your first effort!
How long did you preheat the stone? My friend’s Ooni, the pellet fueled model, has the same problem in that the top chars before the bottom crisps up.
If you have the gas fired oven a trick I use with the Roccbox is to turn off the gas and let the bottom cook, and then turn gas back on and dome the pie to finish the top.
Another idea I picked up from Ken Forkish’s “The Elements of Pizza” is to parcook the crust. This produces an extra crispy product, and is a good way to save extra crusts as they freeze perfectly. My dough recipe makes 5 1/2 12" crusts so I usually have a few hanging out in the freezer.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

3 Likes

Thanks! I preheated the stone for 25 min so I think it was sufficiently hot. I have a full gas ooni, the turning off the gas sounds like a great idea. I’ll try that next time! Will report back

1 Like

Trader Joe’s dough is horrid, loaded with sugar and fake shit. Avoid in a high-heat oven.

3 Likes

This is what I do with my Ooni. It took me 2-3 times to figure this out after getting advice on this board. The center gets cooked well using this method.

2 Likes

No more sugar than lots of recipes use to activate the yeast, but way more ingredients than homemade:

unbleached enriched flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, wheat flour, olive oil, yeast, contains 2% or less of sea salt, cultured wheat starch (for freshness), sunflower oil, wheat gluten, sugar, cultured wheat flour (for freshness), distilled vinegar, cultured sugar (for freshness), enzymes, ascorbic acid (vitamin c as a dough conditioner).

1 Like

We’ve not found it to be a problem.

3 Likes

Tried again with flame off technique couldn’t get the leoparding crust need to figure out the timing of the cheese melting/crust, but getting a better consistent product tho.

Here’s the best of my bunch

2 Likes

I don’t have an Ooni so perhaps some that do, i.e. @Nemroz, can weigh in, but I pre-heat the Roccbox for at least 45 minutes and usually an hour. My friend’s Ooni, a pellet version as I have mentioned, supposedly gets to temp in 20 - 25 minutes. Crust doesn’t crisp. So even though you have the gas version perhaps you need more time to pre-heat. Maybe invest in a https://www.thermoworks.com/ir-gun/ - as they are having a sale right now? The Ooni thermometer may not be accurate.

@hungryhungryhippos are you preheating the Ooni at high heat? I’ve had some issues with the knob so it’s not calibrated properly. I had to tinker with the know to figure out where high actually is. Once I started to pre heat for 20-25 mins on high then turn to low after putting the pizza in the Ooni I started to see better results with a nice crisp on the crust and fully cooked through in the middle. My pies didn’t look as round and as nice as @Nemroz but still had happy customers.

2 Likes

Yup been doing the pre heating I used a different dough this time so that might be one of the reasons. Will keep on trying and report back

Big thing to remember is that high-heat cooking requires a different dough formulated for it. Start here as a good primer:

2 Likes

Ah that’s a great point. Both doughs I’ve bought were probably for conventional oven based cooking not domed pizza decks.

I will check this out although I love cooking I’ve never been a huge of baking for some reason probably the mess, precision and space that it requires.

1 Like

Attempted my first pizza in the dome. Lowered the flame to the lowest setting after it reached 800 degrees as to not burn the top but still cook the carriage well. Did a white base with onions and truffle oil.

9 Likes

Wow great job did you make your own dough?

1 Like

I did! I just followed Gozney’s recipe on their website. 00 flour, yeast, water & salt.
16 hour room temp. ferment followed by an additional 6 hours of proofing.

3 Likes

Thanks I’ll take a look!

I have so many unanswered questions about this recipe. In particular, why three pies in an odd-sized pan rather than one in a standard 13 x 9?

Finally tried the Serious Eats “Outdoor Pizza Oven Pizza Dough” recipe, Pizza Dough for an Outdoor Pizza Oven Recipe. Good results from it. The recipe says you can cook the pie at Neapolitan temperatures so I did for the first pie. I used the technique of turning off the burner when I put it in at 500C (932F). Topping was tomato sauce, low moisture muzz, shredded capicola, onion, and parm. Cook time was around 2 minutes with low flame and doming the pie for the last 30 seconds. Came out like a classic New York pie with a crisp cornichone and outer 2/3s of the crust and a softer center. Perfect for folding.

As my wife prefers neo-Neapolitan style I turned off the Roccbox and let it cool to 300C (572 F). That was actually cooler than I wanted, but I was so enjoying the first pie that my timing was off. This was a bacon/olive pie with the same sauce and cheeses as the first one. She liked it better, but I thought the crust, while crisp, was a little tough.

The dough recipe produces very good results, and I am adopting it as my go to. I used the 70% hydration option and refrigerated the balls for three days. For flour I used Giusto’s AP. Next time I will mix in some bread flour as I thought a bit more gluten would have been nice.

9 Likes