Pizza - recipes, equipment, tips & techniques

Wow looks awesome I’ll have to bookmark this dough recipe

Does anyone know if you can use a ninja blender as a food processor to mix dough? I googled it and the answers seem kinda mixed.

1 Like

I don’t know, but

1 Like

Two new pizzas as ebeth is in town. White pizza with leeks and sausage, and Brooklyn hot honey (I was gifted Mike’s Hot Honey) with prosciutto.

Didn’t take a picture of the pepperoni and onion as I have posted that many times before, but it was almost perfect.
I love making pizza!

10 Likes

Those look like absolute works of art…

1 Like

Thank you my friend. Would love to have you, your lovely wife, the young emperor, @CiaoBob and his wife over some time when we are not all crazed with work - as I suspect you are with this latest outbreak. Thank you for all that you do!

2 Likes

We will MAKE time for friendship and pizza (in that order)! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A very respected baker was absolutely trashing the pizza machines on insta the past couple of days and displaying a lot of convos with others that felt the same

https://instagram.com/hansfamatotable?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I’ve never had a ton of trouble with my pink pizza maker and the results have always been pretty decent, but maybe it’s just cause im a newb?

Seems like the relevant stuff has scrolled off. What “pizza machines” and what’s allegedly wrong with them?

I don’t have the insta (or the face or the twit or the pin or the snap or the tik). can you snip the relevant bits?

Unfortunately they are stories which vanish after 24 hrs.

But the gist of it was that ooni, roccbox etc were all trash there’s too much turning, not enough deck, not enough thermal regulation, the temp variance is high, they aren’t really designed to make pizzas, bottom undercooks while top burns etc.

Lots of commentators that appeared connected to the food industry/baking agreed. A couple ppl mentioned best pizza they were consistently able to make was using a good pizza stone and an electric oven that has high heat setting.

So it makes me wonder if regular pizza ovens are super easy to work with? Or due to my novice-ness am I just getting lucky with my pizzas?

1 Like

My professional baker friend makes some of the best pizza I’ve ever had in the 24" piece-of-shit oven in his rental apartment.

Some of the consumer pizza ovens seem to make good pizza when people learn how to use them and accept their various limitations. I’ve had good pies from four different brands.

Never heard of that guy, but for him to trash those ovens is stupid. He of all people should know there’s hundreds of ways to make good pizza, on any oven–you just have to dial in your dough formula for the oven (ie. the style of pizza you want to bake) and learn the optimal technique for that oven.

I’ve used or own all those backyard outdoor ovens and currently have the gozney dome. while some of his complaints are real, there are very simple and commonsense adjustments to correct all those shortcomings.

One look on IG and you’ll see thousands of satisfied users of the outdoor pizza ovens. But no, they are not easy set it and forget it. You have to learn the ins and outs and yes, be a pizzaiolo and turn the pizza (isn’t that what these pple buy the oven for? It’s not a robot!). Just like any tool, you need to learn to use it.

3 Likes

Yah makes sense but he is an experienced pizzaiolo and baker. Just found it surprising that he and so many food industry connected people hated these ovens because my experience and it seems the general public at large like them including FTC members.

sounds like some entitled bro chef who thinks real woodfired oven is only way to go :rofl: Just quick skim through the forum www.pizzamaking.com and you’ll see that plenty of home cooks just killing it on these pizza ovens

2 Likes

Yeah I’m a plebe with no room in the backyard so that’s not going to work for me lol. Ooni 4 lyfe!

Thanks for the tip i’ll have to check out some dough recipes there, seems to be the main component for making good pies in these backyard ovens.

2 Likes

too much turning

Uh, that’s the point!! The whole reason to get those things is because you are some person that wants to play pizzaiolo. You probably don’t have the time, cash, space for a real pizza oven (of any variety) but these things? A little pricey, sure, but they’re for enthusiastic hobbyists. The turning and poking and mastering all the little whatsits is your idea of FUN. Getting it down is a point of pride.

I mean, riding a bike is a ‘stupid’ way to travel if your point is getting from a to b as quickly and comfortably as possible. But bike riders aren’t looking to do that.

What is it with people freaking out that someone somewhere likes something they don’t like?

Except Dr Pepper. That shit’s vile.

3 Likes

Dr. Pepper and margarine.

nothing beats dr pepper with margarine ice cubes on a hot day

3 Likes

Maybe I’m in the minority but Dr Pepper is by far the best of the colas lol

3 Likes

I love dr pepper too

1 Like