Pizza - recipes, equipment, tips & techniques

I learned the electric oven . I have always had gas . Pre heat pizza stone at 475 for a hour . Turn to high broil for a half hour . Ready to cook . Maybe 2 minutes. Came out fabulous .

+2.

I love Dr Pepper; a friend in college called it “carbonated prune juice”.

3 Likes

I’m here for the Dr Pepp

2 Likes

Urban legend - at least according to Snopes, Is Dr Pepper Made from Prune Juice? | Snopes.com

3 Likes

If Dr. Pepper contained prune juice, it would have to appear on the ingredient list.

https://www.drpepper.com/s/products/dr-pepper

“natural and artificial flavors” covers a LOT of ground.

Personally, I’d rather drink a lot of ground.

2 Likes

So this looks burned, but it is so not. The best Detroit pizza I have ever made. Used Peter Reinhart’s technique of pressing down half the cheese into the dough for the final rise. Toppings were sauce, hot sausage, sweet onion, and peppers - with a final dusting of some fontina. Cooked in the Roccbox at 750 to start. Turned the flame off right away. Reversed it at three minutes, and cooked it for two. Turned the flame back on at minimum setting and cooked for two minutes. Reversed and finished for one minute. Almost perfect. Bottom crust was ultra crisp, frico was divine, and great thing about Detroit pizzas is you can pile on the toppings. I sent a picture to Peter and he approved.

11 Likes

looks perfect to me

1 Like

Nice!

2 Likes

No photo of the bottom?

Couldn’t get a good angle on it. Crust wasn’t flexible, and I didn’t want to hold it over my head.

I tilt it like this.

https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/c/8/c8b9721b31dcfeac215e39c1c5c26be7359c556f.jpg

1 Like

I was worried the toppings would slide off as the pie was still pretty hot. Also I am not great at one-handed photos with an iPhone. My bottom crust had nowhere near the char of yours, but it was still very crisp.

Party cut, rolled out dough Midwest style was great

First effort of ny style (63% hydr.) dough worked out! Had to manipulate temp control a lot more of course

Sausage with fennel pollen and honey really is an instant victory

8 Likes

what dough recipe did you use as your starting point for NY style pizza?

That midwest style looks fantastic with sausage, fennel pollen and is that thin sliced onion? I would totally f*k that up!

Ya that’s it. Mandolined onions cooked fast enough

1 Like

It’s my sour starter + 00 flour dough with an overnight cold rest. Lowered hydration to low 60s for Ny style from the usual neopolitan

that was damn near perfect… but no basil left in the garden

the California Gold mozarella from Epicurus is perfect! this is Roman style, not tavern :stuck_out_tongue: High hydration dough not doiing so great though for this application…it gets tough if you try to make it well done and crispy.

12 Likes

WILD APPLAUSE

Dude, I mean…

DUDE.

That first pic looks OUT. FUCKING. STANDING. There really should be a ‘chef kiss’ emoji.

:cook::kiss: will have to do, I guess.

When are you gonna hold your first pop up? :slight_smile:

3 Likes