Pizza - recipes, equipment, tips & techniques

This is the best I can do. This is from the unit we opened in 2016. I had much better photos from the unit we opened in 2014. Unfortunately, those are on a device to which I no longer have access

The knob on the left hand side below the pizza oven opening controls the gas inflow and is how you adjust temperature. There are only four settings 1 - 4. We rarely used the highest setting. The oven in this photo is at 560* and given how high the flame is, it was probably still in the initial warm up for the day before we’d fired any pizza. The display on the right is simply the temperature gauge. As I said an incredibly simple piece of equipment to operate.

To the right of the oven was a 6’ refrigerated sandwich table with drop-ins for the containers. We kept back-up dough balls on one side and back-up sauce, cheese and toppings on the other. We used a deep (6") half pan for sauce and cheese and either 1/4 or 1/6th pans for the toppings which for us included, sausage, onions, mushrooms, peppers, jalapenos, black olives, ham and pineapple…yes, we did the dreaded Hawaiian pizza and it was our #2 seller behind pepperoni. We also did some BBQ chicken and Mexican pizzas.

Dough balls read for immediate use were kept in a speed rack next to the ingredient station, where there was also a commercial dough press. One employee would press the dough then transfer to a pizza screen, sauce and cheese the pizza, put it on a sheet pan and back onto the speed rack. When we were ready to begin cooking the pizza blanks would be topped and go into the oven. During service the pizza assembler would monitor what was out and begin topping pizza blanks to back fill the pizzas being sold. There was a large landing station in front of the pizza oven where finish pizzas would be placed to be cut and put onto trays which were then put onto a warming shelf that was builit into the counter. The cashier and runner monitored the slices and anything that was still there after about 30 mintues became waste, of which there was always some, but once we got a workable routine established we got much better at reducing wasted product as well.

8 Likes

That’s exactly what we do with the #10 cans we buy

2 Likes

It’s low brow as hell but I’ve been abusing the serious eats tortilla pizza recipe.

Underside :joy:

6 Likes

Have you tried their pizzadilla recipe? Very similar but I prefer this recipe. They both taste great. Can’t have Hayato and Republique every night for dinner.

3 Likes

Hm…looks like I got something new to try later

Ideas and opinions from the UK:

Something like this is very doable.

3 Likes

I legit love those mini hormel pepperonis! They are great also in a calzone!

1 Like

Top the dough (no sauce, just salt, olive oil) with black pudding, shallots, pre-cooked bacon and [after baking] finish it with thin slices of griddled pigeon breast, parmesan and pickled walnut sauce.

grinning Not going to say that all the suggestions appeal to me, @robert, but some are creative!

I did a riff on Kenji’s Garlic Bread Pizza today for lunch.

I didn’t have french bread on hand, but I did have a bollilo, which is close enough. I split it in half and used his sheet pan trick to compress the bread. I didn’t want to take the time to make garlic butter (and I probably should have) so I topped the bolillo halves with some shredded colby jack that I had in the fridge and popped it under the broiler.

Okay, no judging my choice of toppings they were all I had in the fridge

Meanwhile, I chopped up a slice of ham off the bone and…wait for it…pineapple.

I found just enough pizza sauce in the freezer to top both halves, added more cheese and then the dreaded ham and pinapple. Back into the oven and voila…Ham & Pineapple Bolillo Pizza :grin: :upside_down_face:

Yes, I should have cut the pineapple smaller. This tasted pretty good. Would have been even better with the garlic butter

10 Likes

As if I needed more proof that you have spent a good amount of time in Mexico amongst Mexicans… LOL!!!

3 Likes

First pizza I have made since before Christmas. Not great pictures. Twice baked crusts.

Second pic is sausage and braised baby artichokes.

3 Likes

And yet more proof, I give you the Mollete…bolillo, refried beans, cheese & salsa :laughing:

It was actually better than the bollilo pizza

6 Likes

But how does it taste with Salsa Inglesa tho’ :rofl:

1 Like

No lo se, no lo he probado

1 Like

I want to try a roman style dough. What percent hydration do you guys think it should be?

Which Roman-style pizza? A taglio like Bonci, rustica like Roscioli and Forno Campo De’ Fiori, or the super-thin individual style served at sit-down pizzerie?

Bonci is 70%.

Though his recipe for home cooks is 60%.

Roscioli’s is 78%.

Pizzeria-style, I suspect there are a lot of different recipes. My impression is that typically they do not do long fermentation. Many places use a rolling pin

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=51711.0.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45299.0

Awesome resources!! Thank you! I made some focaccia just to recipe test a dough tek and a 78% dough came out really nice!!

Next time I make this I’ll top them with some cheese and squash and stuff.

5 Likes