Pizza - recipes, equipment, tips & techniques

Traders Doughs is good enough for me and my Roccbox

I would try making dough but I really don’t have all the proper trays and covers and fridge space to store the dough balls

2 Likes

So the bottom of the pizza isn’t getting as crispy as I’d like in my Ooni. I tried to lower the temperature. How long do you preheat the oven for? My guess is that the bottom of the stone isn’t hot enough.

Help?

1 Like

Some people say 30, 45, or 60 minutes to preheat a pizza stone in the oven.

You might try checking the temperature of the stone just before putting the pie in and just after taking it out, see how much it drops.

Yikes I need to preheat the stone for way longer. Need to do more research.

If it’s similar to bread, I pre-heat the dutch oven in the oven for at least 45 mins (and usually closer to 60).

I normally preheat for 60-90 minutes when using a pizza stone

The Roccbox has a built in thermometer that is pretty accurate. It takes at least 45 minutes to get up to 600 - 650 which is what I use for NY style.
Another tip is to parcook your crusts for 3 - 4 minutes at 600. Make sure you put a little sauce on them if you do this as otherwise they bubble like crazy. I picked up this technique from “The Elements of Pizza” and have been using it a lot as my wife loves crisp crusts. Another plus is it allows one to freeze excess dough if you make your own (cough…cough…sorry I had to clear my throat). Par baked crusts when fully laden cook for about three minutes, five if frozen. Best of luck!!

2 Likes

Uncooked pizza dough also freezes well.

1 Like

I put a thermometer in my oven . Its electric . I have the pizza stone . Rack just above the middle. I found this oven Max’s out out 475 . I’ll heat the stone for a hour plus at that temperature. Then switch to broil on high for another hour . Gets just about 525 degrees. Pizza cooks in around 2 1/2 minutes . Really like it . Dough can cause problems also for your pizza . Or to many ingredients.

2 Likes

Great idea to par cook the crusts.

I have definitely been under heating my stone. Most times I preheat for about 15 minutes. Going to try again this week with a 45-50 minute preheat and the par cook method.

1 Like

I don’t think parbaking the crusts will give optimal results. And that pretty much defeats the purpose of getting a dedicated pizza oven that can get hotter than your regular oven.