Pizza - recipes, equipment, tips & techniques

i’ve seen people using the 20lb tanks so that’s what i got… dont really know anything about using gas… we’re wood/charcoal fire people but i needed a gas stove.

1 Like

I’m a pleb and also lazy I’ll be using gas will report back!

Did you mean just a normal propane tank.That’s what I’m using.

Sorry yes normal propane not sure how that became “abnormal”

1 Like

yes, normal tank. it lasts surprisingly long but i would recommend always having an extra one as back up. make sure you get a turning peel.

2 Likes

My one recommendation I received from this thread and pass onto you is make sure you preheat the stone for at least 25-30 mins on full blast. When you put the pizza into the Ooni turn down the heat.

If you’re making multiple pizzas (not sure why you’d only make 1 at a time) let the stone reheat again on full blast for another 10 mins or so.

I don’t have a turning peel but I can see why I’d need one. I use tongs and there is one part of the crust that has a huge claw/bite mark looking thing. Haha. Maybe I’ll buy myself a peel for Xmas.

3 Likes

there are some cheap ones on amazon

yep… they’re kind of made for propane and then you can use an adapter they sell if you want to plug in directly to your natural gas line. i’m reading that propane burns at higher BTU so you dont need to use as much as N.gas… also apparently propane is significantly more envorinmentally friendly though neigher is exactly green… gas is cheaper

1 Like

I bought the combo tongs, peel, and sizzler tray. I think it was like 25% off.

Now I have to read through everyone’s articles for pizza dough

3 Likes

I will try and make it easy for you: Peter Reinhart's Neo-Neopolitan Pizza Dough Recipe | Bakepedia is my favorite thin crispy crust recipe.
Here are Kenji’s three basics, The Pizza Lab: Three Doughs to Know
My initial troubles centered around forming the dough ball properly so when you stretched it out into a pie it was even without tears. There are some good YouTube videos on this.
Agree with preheating the stone enough. While I have a Roccbox my friend has an Ooni and her pizzas never develop enough char on the bottom (she is too impatient to heat the oven long enough).
Best of luck! To @Nemroz too!

3 Likes

Wanted to try it but he’s not using 00 so i’m out since i bought a 200 pizza bag. :slight_smile:
Mine is simple.

240g refreshed sourdough starter, 440g 00 flour with a bit of red fife blended in, 275g water. Around 71% hydration. That’s 3 pies.

3 Likes

Multiple people i trust cook their sauce but that’s not how i came up… what’s traditional in Napoli? I think it’s a raw sauce, right?

1 Like

I don’t cook my sauce either. What the heck do I know though?

1 Like

Here, https://www.pizzanapoletana.org/public/pdf/disciplinare%202008%20UK.pdf, scroll down to page 8. It’s just tomatoes; not sauce. No cooking allowed.

1 Like

uncooked as well, and always with few dashes of fish sauce.

1 Like

I’m so excited, you guys. And I came to share it with you first

Seasoning step done

7 Likes

That view :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

The appetizer

1 Like

Will let the dough experts comment on if this recipe seems necessary or not.

2 Likes