Please help critique San Sebastian & Bilbao list (plus fill a few gaps)

Hello everyone, I’ll be traveling to San Sebastian & Bilbao for the first time, solo later this year. I’ve been reading about the wonderful food here for years and am really looking forward! I would appreciate some feedback on the places I’m thinking about checking out! I won’t be driving but reasonable cab rides are OK. Thanks!

San Sebastian

• Pintxos: Borda Berri, Bar Nestor, Ganbara, Gandarias, La Cepa de Bernardo, Bar Sport, Txepeta, Bar Nestor, La Viña, Atari Gastroleku, La Cuchara de San Telmo

• Restaurants:

• Rekondo
    • Casa Urola
    • Martin Berasategui: I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews and am not sure
    • Casa Julian
  • Petritegi Sagardotegia

Bilbao

• Late night, 1:00 AM’ish: NEED A PLACE

• Restaurants:

• Azurmendi
    • I’ve been trying to get a spot at Etxebarri but it does not look promising. Any suggestions for an alternative? Considering Mina, Irrintzi, Restaurante Aizian Jatetxea.
  • Pintxos: El Globo, La Vina del Ensanche

Any other must-visit places that I’m missing? Thank you very much!

I prefer the restaurant section (back room) of La Viña to the bar.

Lunch excursion to Asador Etxebarri?

Thank you Robert! Any dish recommendation at La Viña’s restaurant (or any of the other places)?

Re. Etxebarri, I’ve sent them requests for multiple dates but other than the automated email they send to acknowledge the request, nothing from them so far. At this point, I have no idea how does one get into that place these days :slight_smile: If you have any suggestions, would love to hear. Thanks!

The ham, chuleta de buey, and oxtails are what I remember but everything was good. And of course the original of the world-famous cheesecake.

Great, thank you! I was planning to go to La Txuleteria del Iraeta and Casa Julian for Txuleta (plus, I guess it’ll be a part of the meal at Petritegi Sagardotegia). Any suggestion on which one to replace with the one at La Viña’s? Thanks!

Welcome to FTC!!!

A note on pintxos crawling in San Sebastián: Conditions on the ground are ever-changing. Check out todopintxos.com to get the latest on best bites at specific bars around town in any given week. The list is constantly being updated.

If you don’t mind a 25km trip to Getaria, the signature turbot at Elkano is worthy of the pilgrimage.

Akelarre and La Viña are still great meals.

Etxebarri used to be an easier rezzie. Now it’s easier to gain an audience with the Pope than to eat at the Asador…

¡Buen provecho! And please report back!

Thank you! I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make it to Getaria this time around but definitely keeping Elkano in mind if I’m able to go. I few friends who’ve been highly recommended it as well!

Would you happen to have any thoughts on Martin Berasategui? People’s experiences seem to be all over the place - some say it was the best meal of their lives, others say it was really underwhelming. Can’t decide if I should try it or not, esp. given the price. Thanks!

@aaaazzzz how was everything in Bilbao/San Sebastián any recs?

Did you get into extebarri?

Thank you for the suggestions! I had a delicious time in San Sebastian! I ended up going to the following places:

La Txuleteria del Iraeta: Great txuleta!

Rekondo: One of my fav meals. They were great and did half portions so that I could multiple things. Stellar wine list!

Petritegi Sagardotegia: This was a cool experience but nothing special in terms of food. I probably wouldn’t go back here.

Martin Berasategui: One of my fav. meals of 2022. I would definitely go back here.

Casa Julian: Great steak n a cool space but given the limited amount of time I was there, both this and La Txuleteria del Iraeta were too much. I should’ve just picked one in retrospect.

Azurmendi: This was good but I wouldn’t go back here.

Unfortunately Casa Urola was closed when I went but I would suggest going if you can.

I ate pintxos at Txepeta for anchovies, La Cepa, Bar Sport, Gandarias, Bar Bergara, Ganbara for spider crab tartlets, mushroom w/ eggs, kokotxas (hake cheeks), squid in ink sauce, La Viña for cheesecake, La Cuchara de San Telmo for razor clams, suckling pig, beef cheeks, Atari Gastroleku: torrija (bruleed french toast), octopus, brocheta de langostinos. Everything was great!

4 Likes

Thanks for these recs I will bookmark and try to book all these recs except for the ones that you didn’t love and will report back.

I’m probably gonna gain 15 lbs on this trip lol

Unless I’m forgetting something, the ham I had at La Viña was the best I’ve ever had. According to Chef Rivera’s daughter, who was our server one night, he visits the farm and selects specific legs.

1 Like

Martín Berasategui still owns his father’s old restaurant in the old section of town. It’s not a part of his larger restaurant group but has really good traditional food. Can’t remember the name off the top of my head but I’ll look it up later

1 Like

Is extabarri worth it? I ask because I will be paying for four people if we go.

1 Like

I thought it was worth it, but the price has gone up significantly. I think it was 100 € in 2011. And I think the wine prices have gone up as well.

Worth it.

1 Like

It’s truly unique. He’ll cook you food you won’t get anywhere else because (among other reasons) no one else has his DIY grilling hardware.

good luck getting a reservation

1 Like