Please Share Your Best Green Salad recipes

thank you!

1 Like

Looking for delicious salad dressing recipes or your favorite store bought recipes. I love the chipotle and aji amarillo dressings at Mendocino farms but haven’t had much success recreating them. Thanks. Sorry to the OP for piggybacking on your thread but pretty much same topic.

1 Like

This is from Anne Quatrano of Bacchanalia and Star provisions in Atlanta. Great way to use up extra buttermilk. Like a lighter version of Ranch great Bibb lettuce salads

Buttermilk Vinaigrette

1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 ounce sugar
1 ounce fresh lemon juice
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 ounce chopped ‘fine herbs’
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Combine first 6 ingredients and macerate 15 minutes. Whisk in Oil

2 Likes

This is a bit fussy but i love it. From Josiah Citrin, it’s my favorite everyday vinaigrette I’ll blend it up and throw it in an old wine bottle

Dijon. 1T
Salt 1t
Garlic clove. 1 ea (garlic press)
Shallot. ½ fine chop
Water. 4T
Herbs, chopped. 2T
Banyuls or sherry vin. 1/2c
Red wine vin. 2T
Grape seed oil. 1.5 c
EVOO. 1 c
Lemon juice. 4T

Put in jar and shake!
Finish with lemon juice

2 Likes

Thanks so much @aaqjr! These are great!

1 Like

What would be a good Oil replacement in some of these salad dressing recipes?

There’s no substitute for oil, it’s essential to emulsions. If you want a fat-free salad dressing, search for that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fat-free+salad+dressing+recipes&oq=fat-free+salad+dressing+recipes

Maybe veg stock thickened with xanthan gum until it’s the same thickness as oil. I’d still use some oil if possible.

I like to do a simple veg stock with just leek, onions, garlic and thyme. But you can use boxed stock of course

I wonder if the fluid from a can of chickpeas could be used in place of oil - whisk until frothy?

You can’t substitute chickpea liquid for oil if your goal is to make an emulsion.

@Luluthemagnificent what’s your broader goal here? Fat-free? Lower-fat?

1 Like

OH, look at you.

oil free

1 Like

Avocado, cooked winter squash or sweet potato, miso, creamy nut butter, soft cheese, ripe hachiya persimmon, tamarind paste, or pureed beans can make an emulsion.

You can do molecular gastronomy tricks with gels, that’s typically what commercial products do.

3 Likes

How did I only notice this thread now???

@js76wisco, in case you haven’t already seen this…

2 Likes

NY Times article on a former food writer who has a dedicated salad substack

The 6th most popular food substack newsletter

2 Likes

“Former”?

One of my new fav salad recipes is naval oranges, arugula, thinly sliced red onions, and a balsamic vinaigrette. I cannot get enough of it!!

4 Likes

I’ll try that. I love arugula and oranges in my salad.

It’s not a green salad, but sliced oranges, sliced red onion, and black olives are a traditional salad combination in several cuisines.

2 Likes

That sounds…interesting. Have you tried it? Any good?

Some great salad recipes here, I riff on these all the time