Post Your Christmas/Hannakuh/Holiday Food 2016

I bet you would. It was a gift, and I like it a lot. There is a great strawberry aftertaste, but it’s not a fruit bomb.

Cool! I wished that the parmesan was a bit richer, but I think part of the blame is with the cheese I had. I also cut the cream in half. It was a good cold weather soup.

Yasss. Love the onions. And it keeps well for leftovers too.

Polish kolache.

Massive fail, but everyone keeps wandering into the kitchen to eat them.

(Never underestimate the power of massive amounts of butter.)

5 Likes

drool!!!

I saw a recipe for these. Drool worthy.

My husband wanted cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning so I made these.

6 Likes

love horseradish! cant imagine fresh!

They hung my goose for 3 days at A Cut Above, which I picked up on x-mas eve. It looked so good when I unwrapped it. They included the neck which looked so good I had to roast it instead of use it in broth! Goose ready for the oven!

The recipe said to pull the extra fat off the goose to render. It’s in the freezer now.

Out of oven, using Nordic recipe.

Another out of oven shot.

We used leftovers to make thai stir-fry, second year in a row. Leftover goose makes fantastic curry with the MaePloy cheat curry. Also, make a goose pho with broth and leftover goose.

6 Likes

That is stunning.

I’ve never cooked a goose but have seen the enormous amount of fat they produce. I understand that the skin has to be pricked and fat spooned off during the cooking. If so, then what use would those vegetables have?

1 Like

Thanks!!

Vegetables roasted in goose fat are great, though I might ladle off some fat through and cook them separately to keep the goose fat neutral. Some recipes have you swap pans partway through.

1 Like

I have cooked ducks before using recipes that called for pricking of the skin, but now I follow the recipes in my husband’s beloved The Nordic Cookbook and they don’t have you prick the skin of the duck or the goose. The recipes have you add water to the pan so the oven stays moist ( a french recipe has me cook capon the same way). I do get a tremendous amount of fat at the bottom of the pan that I also freeze.
Bottom of pan after roasting with carrots floating in fat.

The carrot were like candy! Only wish I’d added more!

I also sautéed king trumpet mushrooms in the goose fat as a side. I get the mushrooms from the Japanese grocery stores in my hood.

The pho I made with leftovers. I use the term pho very loosely!

3 Likes

New Year’s Day observed menu:

• root vegetables in salsa Esterházy with prime rib
  • ham hock with lentils & cabbage with tabil
  • salad TBA
  • Harbison
  • Christmas pudding

This is the original “Roastbeef in salsa ‘Esterazy’” that my version evolved from over 25+ years. I had it again when I was in Rome last year and the only remaining similarity between the two dishes may be that both have roast beef and sour cream. Maybe there’s a little bit of veg in their sauce.

2 Likes

That whole technique and recipe sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

I seriously don’t like ‘mushy’ vegetables (perhaps ate way too many growing up in the South). I’ve roasted them in a not huge amount of duck fat. Mushy ones to me should be blended and added to sauce/gravy.

Roasting vegetables in fat makes them dense, not mushy.

I roast vegetables a good bit, esp. in winter. But with a modest amount of ‘fat’ and a high temp. Not “floating in oil.”

In my experience they don’t get soggy. They get dense and maybe caramelize a bit. I wouldn’t use high-moisture roots like new potatoes or baby turnips.

But what you do is likely what I do. Not floating in fat.

The carrots in Xochitl’s photo look to me like they’re resting on the bottom of the pan in in about a half-inch of goose fat.

If we call them confited in goose fat it wouldn’t be far from accurate and I’m guessing delicioso.

1 Like