Prosciutto - Where to Buy in Los Angeles?

Eataly

I have so much trouble peeling Guido’s prosciutto off the wrapping without tearing it to shreds (and it takes me soooooo long to get it plated)…is there some trick I am unaware of?
I love going there, I love the product, and I love the folks who own and operate Guido’s, but I eschew the meats these days in favor of eataly solely for that reason

1 Like

If prosciutto tears to shreds when you’re peeling it off the wrapping, it was sliced too thin.

“Where to buy prosciutto” is really only half the question. The other half is for what purpose. There’s no reason to buy tip-top-quality stuff if you’re going to, for example, chop it up for a pasta or calzone filling, or wrap figs with it and grill them.

Yes, this is true. However, because I took the time to ask this question, you may assume I’m not asking which chain supermarket has the best pre-cut prosciutto in plastic packaging in the “specialty” cold-cuts section next to the baloney.

It’s melon season. I’m looking for prosciutto worthy of the melons.

1 Like

Prosciutto tearing can come down to a number of factors in addition to thickness. Ham can also stick if 1) it’s a younger ham with more moisture, 2) it’s leaner ham, 3) if the ham slices were laid on top of each other with no barrier, and 4) if the package was vacuum sealed too tightly. As such, to minimize the chance of getting torn ham look for more aged and marbled hams with wax paper in between slices that aren’t vacuum sealed within an inch of their life.

But don’t take my word for it, Dave Arnold recently gave good ham tips on Cooking Issues episode 371 around 30:11. He was addressing how to store ham for service after slicing but the same advice applies when purchasing pre-sliced ham.

1 Like

I think the vacuum sealing is a big issue for Guido’s prosciutti

I’ve only bought prosciutto ends from them but yeah, if you can see the outline of the ham because it’s in such a tightly sealed package it’s not a safe bet.

Made proscuitto and melons yesterday using the sugar queen variety from Weiser Farms. The melons are great - fragrant and sweet. But too sweet. Overpowered rather than complimented the proscuitto. I would still recommend the melon but to eat on its own. So darn sweet and delicious.

I am not a fan of sugar queens, as you said, much too sweet. I will snap a photo at Mar Vista this weekend to share my favorite melon people, I don’t remember off the top of my head.

I had melon and prosciutto for breakfast the last couple days. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Next time I’m there, I’ll ask if they can customize slices. I’ve never minded the way they cut them, since I mostly put in quesadillas. And sometimes, I wrap my pet meds in the slices. :grimacing:

1 Like

WHAT?!?!?!?
Lucky Pets

1 Like

I know, a bit indulgent, but we have trouble finishing a packet.

2 Likes

if you don’t mind the budget option, Jons in NoHo has Fiorucci proscuitto (whole leg) for $12.99 lb. it’s not as good as Citterio from Costco, which is so silky, and you have to make sure you get one of the guys to slice it for you—they’re the only ones who understand how thin it has to be and that it needs plastic between each layer. store also has an excellent selection of East European (Russian/Armenian/Hungarian) salami. a Hungarian friend turned me onto Pik salami.

2 Likes

I wish the U.S would lift its food restrictions for imports. Though the prosciutto is ok here
Its nothing like the real deal in Italy. Example, Mortadella.

yes, I get their San Daniel mortadella, which is Canadian, but most everything is locally made in “the tradition” of. not the same I agree, but in the meantime, it’s good enough.

1 Like

Exactly, mediocre is ok .

A few European ham companies have jumped through the USDA hoops to ship to the US.

1 Like

I love the one that the Pasta Sisters import.

Yeah, I agree about peeling that stuff. But it’s much closer to me that Eataly. Wish I we had a Roscioli in L.A.!

1 Like