Providence LA

Inwas messing around with chatgpt for astrea - just to see what it could generate. It was just constantly spitting out nonsense even when I asked it to exclude things. I gave up. [quote=“Totoro, post:97, topic:10856, full:true”]
I asked ChatGPT what the best restaurants in Southern California and this is its Top 10:

There are numerous great restaurants in Southern California, so it really depends on what type of cuisine you are looking for, your budget, and your personal preferences. Here are some highly rated restaurants in Southern California that are worth checking out:

1. Providence (Los Angeles) - a seafood-focused fine dining restaurant with a Michelin star.
  2. The French Laundry (Yountville) - a world-renowned restaurant known for its tasting menus featuring French cuisine.
  3. Spago (Beverly Hills) - a celebrity hotspot serving contemporary California cuisine.
  4. Mélisse (Santa Monica) - a Michelin-starred French restaurant with a focus on seasonal ingredients.
  5. Osteria Mozza (Los Angeles) - an Italian restaurant from celebrity chef Mario Batali, featuring homemade pastas and wood-fired pizzas.
  6. Trois Mec (Los Angeles) - a small, intimate restaurant with a daily-changing menu featuring innovative dishes.
  7. Addison (San Diego) - a Forbes Five-Star fine dining restaurant serving French-inspired cuisine.
  8. The Ranch Restaurant (Anaheim) - a farm-to-table restaurant with a focus on locally sourced ingredients and steakhouse classics.
  9. Juniper & Ivy (San Diego) - a modern American restaurant from celebrity chef Richard Blais, with an emphasis on bold flavors and creative presentation.
  10. Little Sister (Manhattan Beach) - a trendy Southeast Asian restaurant with a menu inspired by the flavors of Vietnam, Thailand, and Indonesia.

I didn’t know The French Laundry is nearby!

After I messaged that it made a mistake, it included Taco Maria in the list.
[/quote]

2 Likes

I wonder if the AI is trainable. Will try to impress upon ChatGPT how the food cognoscenti of L.A. adore The Stinking Rose. Wish me luck…

12 Likes

Two of the restaurants on that list have closed (Trois Mec and Little Sister, MB)
Not great, AI.

That’s whole purpose of AI - for your example it might be better to use one of the competitors (MS, Google) as they are actually “connected” to the internet

Well alrighty, then. Experiment: ON. Let’s all tell ChatGPT how Stinking Rose is a top 10 L.A. restaurant, and see if we can make a dent in its algorithm lolol…

2 Likes

I asked Bard the same question. Bard is Google version of Chat GPT.

There are many great restaurants in Southern California, but some of the most popular and well-regarded include:

• Spago of Beverly Hills: This Michelin-starred restaurant is known for its innovative cuisine and elegant atmosphere.
  • Grand Central Market: This historic food hall offers a wide variety of dining options, from casual to fine dining.
  • Bestia: This Italian restaurant is known for its wood-fired pizzas and handmade pastas.
  • Nobu Malibu: This Japanese restaurant is a celebrity favorite, serving up dishes like sushi and sashimi.
  • Pink’s Hot Dogs: This iconic hot dog stand has been serving up delicious dogs since 1939.
  • Sugarfish: This sushi restaurant is known for its omakase menu, which changes daily based on what’s freshest.
  • Shake Shack: This popular burger chain offers a variety of burgers, fries, and shakes.
  • Philippe the Original: This French dip sandwich shop has been serving up its signature sandwiches since 1901.

These are just a few of the many great restaurants in Southern California. With so many options to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect place to enjoy a delicious meal.

3 Likes

The famed ever-changing omakase of Sugarfish!

5 Likes

Haha. I don’t think Nozawa changed their menu since the 90s when they only had the Studio City location.

2 Likes

Apologies if this was asked before, but if you sit at the bar do you have to order the normal tasting menu or is a la carte an option?

Last time I asked - about 8 months ago - they were not doing a la cart at the bar anymore.

1 Like

They do their supplements at the bar. So 3-5 dishes.

2 Likes

Had a really nice meal here the other day. For some reason I thought Cimarusti was sourcing local, which he didn’t seem to be. The other half-complaint if I’m looking to complain might be that though everything was very good, not sure there was anything sensational. Oh, I really liked the new space. Just dark enough to be romantic. Service, per usual, is the best in the city.

7 Likes

The price seems very reasonable for that meal!

1 Like

Our Astrea Kaluga sure does look pretty on this dish :smiley:

6 Likes

Had a pretty similar to @set0312 dinner at Providence.
Every single thing served was outstanding and sublime from start to finish.
Flavor, texture, temperature of every dish were perfct.
Service was warm, professional, efficient, and friendly.
I also love how they have upgraded glassware to one of my favorite wine glasses from Sophienwald!
Wish their wine list featured more champagne selections.
The only thing I can pick on was the use of a large metal spoon with the caviar dish.
Perhaps a smaller wooden or mother of pearl spoon would be better in mind opinion.
In general, I love that Providence is a seafood centered restaurant.
In my book, Providence is one of the best restaurants in the world, and we are fortunate to have it in our city!

5 Likes

He’s known for sourcing sustainable seafood, which is considerably less common.

I did not take a photo but our Kaluga caviar in this dish looked quite a bit darker more blackish than this one or the one you show on your website. Is there much variability in color for Astrea Kaluga?

Only certain days are ours. We are roughly 30% of the caviar used. If you see smaller eggs that are darker, it’s another company. If you see large eggs - it’s us

3 Likes

obviously a tough question, but which do people prefer between this or Kato? seems to be at similar price points and debating between two. Been to Kato a while ago and thought it was outstanding.

I would choose Providence. The whole experience is a bit more dialed in and the space/ambiance/service for me are at a higher level. As a diner, you feel more “taken care of” and the table touches by the staff have a warmer/personal feel to them.

When making a decision about where to “splurge” or take people out to, I usually choose the place that will be conducive to conversation as well as be delicious. For me, Providence always hits that mark.

7 Likes