Providence

That’s such an amazing reference! I haven’t had an Andres mint or thought about it in decades.

1 Like

who’s gonna turn down a junior mint?

2 Likes

reminds me of the times when i would go to the olive garden to get unlimited salad and breadsticks and the tour of italy. they would drop off a handful of andes mints with the check.

4 Likes

@TheCookie your time starts now…

2 Likes

I guess my time started and ran out. No video. :slightly_smiling_face: So excited. Just added Hurricane Cocktails.

1 Like

crap, try it again.

1 Like

Check it out @CiaoBob & @LouisianaMouth. Can’t wait!

Hahahaha
@LouisianaMouth is in Baton Rouge as we “speak.”

2 Likes

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

1 Like

@TheCookie hands up utensils down

1 Like

Busted Down at Pascal’s Manale… Ode to the Big Easy

It was fun getting a to-go Hurricane but I think the right bottle of White Wine would have been good with this meal.

House-Smoked Salmon Schmear - CA King Salmon, Cream Cheese, Shallot, Chives, Everything Brioche

Appetizer for hubs to nosh on while I “cooked”. CA king is buttery, med-fatty and I think smoke fans will be satisfied with the prep. I would order it again, but add some b.y.o. cream cheese or crème fraiche to balance the saltiness and add more creamy to the texture. Some of the everything seasoning on the loaf was a bit burnt by the restaurant but not a dealbreaker (add-on 1/2 lb $25).

Pascal’s Manale Barbecue Shrimp - Creole Spices, Herbs, Worcestershire Sauce, Butter, White Wine, Lemon, Hot Sauce, Lots of Pepper :hearts:

The legend goes that many decades ago the restaurant was asked to replicate this dish by a customer… a wise guy who had recently had and loved it at a Chicago restaurant. Thank you! :hearts: The name is also part of the myth, as the shrimp are sautéed not actually barbecued, but ohhh so good. The terrific emulsion of butter, wine, worcestershire, lemon & spices give it great flavor - sweet & mild N. Carolina shrimp, buttery, tangy, peppery sauce, creamy but silkier and lighter than an actual cream or roux sauce. It’s spicy & perfect for dipping a piece of crusty, creole-buttered baguette. :blush: We want this again!

Ya-Ya Gumbo - Pan-Fried Chicken, Andouille, Grassy Bar Oysters, WA Dungeness Crab, Okra, Creole Spices

Can I get Top Reheat’s Immunity for Best Improviser? It was already not going to be enough broth for me. It was more like a sauce than a full on gumbo broth. Then! I discover some liquid spilled in the bag. :smirk: Improvising! I added leftover sauce from the bbq shrimp :stuck_out_tongue: and my own house-made chicken stock, seafood stock, butter, flour & smoked salt. This means I can’t judge their roux properly (dark or light, floury or complex?) or give an accurate assessment of the dish because of my improvising. It had good flavor, but salty, either from them or from the smoked salt or from reducing too long. Idk. Also, I wasn’t crazy about the taste of floured and pan-fried chicken in the gumbo. Smothered fried chicken, yes, but not in a soup or stew. But the chicken, crab, oysters & okra were of exceptional quality and perfectly cooked. Not super spicy. We added Louisiana Hot Sauce. :wink:

Heating tip: in the companion video Chef Cimarusti talked about “warming” everything up. But if you want it hot not warm you’ll have to cook longer or use higher heat. I removed the meat & seafood with a slotted spoon and cranked up the sauces w/a skosh of broth before folding meat back.

Banana Bread Pudding, Caramel-Rum Sauce, Pralines

I poured a little cream on top to moisten the bread and cut the very sugary, rum-forward sauce. My advice is go easy on the sauce.

I would get this meal again. Even with the glitches this was easy and fun to do. If I had known how fun this reheat at home thing was I would’ve done done it a while ago. It even cuts the mess in half. :smiley:

Buying tip: you can buy for one-person, but only on weekdays. Along with the appetizer it is enough food for two people.

Laissez les bons temps rouler, Sha! :partying_face:

14 Likes

Where’s the praline bite?

They’re kinda’ hidden behind the bread pudding.

1 Like

Gahh! This is what happens when I read while I’m only half awake in bed. :poop:

1 Like

No, I meant to photograph them in the package, but…

nice report @TheCookie and extra points (and immunity) for the improvisation. really looking forward to those barbecue shrimp and soaking up all that sauce. love how chef did quality control on that. were you able to eat the shells?

see you at judges’ table

1 Like

really? i thought you can buy for one-person for any day.

2 Likes

Just purchased for 1 on Fri night. Thanks for the tip @TheCookie!

1 Like

Al probably did, but not me. I was going to freeze them for stock but already have a lot of potions & concoctions in the fridge.

1 Like

Nice wine and sake list to go!

https://providencela.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/winetogo.pdf

For sake, I think Taka Noble Arrow and Fukucho Junmai Ginjo would work best with the seafood side of the offerings. But I’d probably go with Yuho Eternal Embers (personal preference) which can also hold up to some spicy, but really is quite full bodied for stronger flavor fare (of which this BBQ and Cajun themed would be fun with it).

2 Likes