Providence

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks for the nice report and pics! :slight_smile: Sounds delicious! (Although that is a bit shocking you didn’t get any crab, but it should come with it normally?)

1 Like

thanks, there were shredded pieces of meat in the broth, just no lumps of claw meat.

2 Likes

stay tuned for next week’s menu providence’s greatest hits

6 Likes

Uncle Roger would approve.

2 Likes

Great photos @PorkyBelly. The rice was indeed special tonight. I think the small amount is on purpose for their vision of the dish. It worked for me because I don’t like a lot of rice in Gumbo, but I did think about mentioning the amount for those who like more. Funny you should mention Mr B’s. I thought about photos of their Gumbo a lot tonight when “cooking” ours.

1 Like

Down!

Week 7: Providence Favorites

First Course: Lobster Bloody Mary - Lobster, Herbs, Bloody Mary gelée

Main Course: ‘Iron Chef’ Rockfish with Mussels, Clams, Squid, and Thai Flavors

Dessert: Milk Chocolate - Whiskey Panna Cotta w/ Bailey’s Ice Cream
(we recommend that you bring a cooler so your ice cream doesn’t melt on the way home!)

4 Likes

I was really hoping for the ugly bunch.

3 Likes

It’ll be a nightmare to plate!

1 Like

This is true…but it’s so good. It’s my favorite dish from Providence.

1 Like

The good old days…

3 Likes

:drooling_face: YUM! And so gorgeous.

1 Like

watch cimaruati kick iron chef morimoto’s ass.

3 Likes

Whose cuisine will reign supreme?!

2 Likes

Man. They let you watch it for free now? I had to torrent mine back in the days but never deleted it from my computer :poop:

2 Likes

One More Night in The Big Easy

We’re already onto another week of seafood fantastic, but I wanted to give props to Providence for hooking us up with this and note some of the tweaks in their preparations to bring maximum takeaway enjoyment.

As you might remember we had Gumbo spillage on our last order. I called, not for a refund or discount, but to explain what happened and see if they could squeeze us in for another order before they ended the weeks en voyage. I wanted to taste the Gumbo as originally created and we both wanted that BBQ Shrimp again! Omg! :yum:

Not only did they fit us in for an order they also gave us a discount so big I thought it was a mistake and called… nope, that’s some pricey gumbo.

Appetizer Course:

House-Smoked Salmon Schmear & Wild Sardines

The schmear was leftover from the last dinner. I toned-down the salty and smoothed the texture with thick Labneh from the fridge. It was sooo good. And look what Dry Dock Fish Co. is doing @attran99! Conservas from their own catches.:hearts: Located at Farmers Markets and other locales. ($5.95 @$22 per lb). Delicious!

Made Crostini w/the Baguette, Creole Butter, Sardines & Crushed Red Pepper. Yep.

There was wine…

Matua

For this appetizer and to sip while “cooking” it was an everyday, crisp, clean, citrusy, tart NZ Sauvignon Blanc from local Yummy Market. I doubt the wine gods will scream over freezing a $13 bottle of wine, but I like to freeze then defrost this. It was first accidental, but it brings out that tropical fruit common in NZSB. :slightly_smiling_face:

Let the Reheating Begin!

Extra Sauces

You know I was getting extra sauce.

They do a very good job on the rice.

Pascal’s Manale BBQ Shrimp

You know the story. But here’s the tweak - shrimp was undercooked this time and still looked opaque in the tin. Thank you! I could get them really hot but not overcooked, plus we better tasted the oh so flavorful N. Carolina shrimp… and with the crostini to sop things up… :heart_eyes:

Remember the mishap… taking no chances this time…

Extra Sauce

Yep @PorkyBelly the crab was at the end of the line by this time. They put white shreds on top to show it was in there, but no chunks. I’m not faulting them. They were running out… whadya’ gonna’ do? The oysters were perfect. :blush:

Redemption!

But who gets the redemption… me or them? :wink:

There was sake

Yuho "Eternal Embers” Junmai

Perfect @beefnoguy. Sometimes I drink sake with food and love the sake and love the food but they do nothing for each other. Here the deep, cooked rice & caramel flavors, acid and sweetness of this sake was as they say the perfect foil for the warm, rich, spicy, tangy sauce & the seafood. :hearts:

Banana Bread Pudding & Rum-Caramel Sauce

I still put cream on it, because it’s good. But this time the pudding was more golden, more moist and the rum-caramel sauce was sweet but smoother and not too sugary. :slightly_smiling_face: Very satisfying.

Here’s your Pralines @moonboy403!

Probably the most exciting NOLA meal I’ve had in L.A. :hearts:

15 Likes

I wish I can get their takeout every week. :drooling_face:

1 Like

Bravo on trying Yuho Eternal Embers with the food!

I think the sake is aged about a year before release but this is so well built that if you bottle age it longer yourself at home (note the bottling date in the back) it gets funkier in a more aromatic way. Glad to hear that it held up to the spice and heavier flavors nicely, I don’t think the other bottles would do so as well. I’ve also read that if you keep leftovers in the fridge and then taste it again over the course of a few days it blossoms even more. I still have a bottle from late last year that I haven’t opened yet and frankly with the current sitch we are in, having a bottle lying around for whatever reason isn’t a bad thing. It might even be fun trying it with heavy duty flavored pasta, which I think my friend in Tokyo who runs a very small Italian eatery and pairs sake exclusively with, carries this same Yuho in magnum size, so maybe I’ll pair this with a pizza sometime, or some heavier flavored Cantonese.

I had the pleasure of meeting Miho Fujita at Sake Day last year, she’s the president of Yuho, speaks enough English that we understand each other and just a sweet soul. She would be thrilled knowing you (and anyone else on FTC) paired and consumed this!

“Yuho” is the Japanese pronounciation of “UFO”, and the region of Ishikawa prefecture where the brewery is located, is famous for UFO sightings (or so the locals claim…). I believe Miho san came up with the idea for this label.

Denshu has quite a bit of umami in its structure, but I think Yuho Eternal Embers has even more… but it is also aged and fuller bodied, dryer, and more acidic. Very typical Ishikawa style sake.

This is a good yakitori sake too, or just with grilled heavy flavors. And I certainly wouldn’t mind putting this in a geek sake pairing somewhere in the Hayato course. Shocked that I still haven’t tried this warmed myself (but have done room temperature).
I think I did sushi with this bottle once (at Sushi Yoshizumi, BYO)

1 Like

Thanks @beefnoguy!

We tasted and enjoyed the Yuho (UFO) at Kanpai LA, but I don’t think we’d bought it until now. Yes, “acidic” too! it was a definite part of why the Sake stood-up to the rich, spicy cajun/creole flavors.

I hope you get a chance to share the report with Miho Fujita. I think she’d be tickled by the pairing.

Oh the possibilities of Sake pairings!

1 Like
2 Likes