Providence

Hi @TheCookie,

Nice gesture by Providence.

How was the saltiness of the gumbo at last chance kitchen?

1 Like

Providence is so classy and delicious.

1 Like

Since you asked. :grimacing: It was salty imo and it masked some of the flavor. But it could be me because Al didn’t think so. But we both agreed the BBQ Shrimp was damn near perfect.

1 Like

BBQ Shrimp sauce looks just like the inventor of the dish @Pascale’s Manale

But it is hard to beat those amazing gulf shrimp outside of LA (that one).

2 Likes

Cool. Look at those things!

Question: is it in the Garden District? I think we passed it on the way back from Clancy’s (one of your recs :slightly_smiling_face:) and I remembered someone on the NOLA thread, possibly you, had recommended it. So many places, so little time.

PM’s is not technically Garden District (but fairly close to it) - I think Uptown would be the best description for the location.
Most tourists think NOLA is the river, the French Quarter, the Garden District, the Superdome and the Airport… So in that sense it is - :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay. I think we passed it because I remember thinking that’s the Italian/Creole place talked about. I can’t wait to be able to go back to LA! :hearts:

Week 9: Featuring Australian Black Truffles

First Course: Paccheri Pasta stuffed with Duck and Black Truffle

Main Course: Truffle-Crusted Swordfish with Cranberry Beans

Dessert: Black Truffle Flan

7 Likes

I probably know the answer to this already, but here goes anyways…

Will there be a price mark-up?

$80 pp. 5 dollar increase from this week’s menu. Same price as the lobster menu a few weeks ago.

3 Likes

providence x needle

lobster bloody mary - maine lobster, herbs, bloody mary gelée, tabasco vinaigrette, horseradish crème fraîche, pickled ramps, pickled calabrian chilies
Lobster was once again cooked perfectly, the bloody mary flavors were present but not as spicy so as not to overwhelm the lobster. Loved the celery and super sweet sungold tomatoes.

‘iron chef’ rockfish with mussels, manila clams, squid, fried eggplant, braised scallions, thai lobster broth, coriander, basil, mint, coconut oil infused with lime leaf, ginger, garlic, jalapeno, and lemongrass
Had to reheat this for an extra five minutes in the oven, about 13 minutes at 350 total. Really good, rockfish was flaky and moist, shellfish and squid were all tender. Really liked the fried eggplant and surprised it still had a slight crisp even after reheating. Highlight was sopping up all the broth with the delicious nori focaccia.

nori focaccia

milk chocolate and whiskey panna cotta, baileys ice cream, coconut streusel, coconut sphere
This tasted a lot like coffee, but with no mention of coffee on the menu I ate it anyway hoping it was just chocolate. After I finish eating the whole thing I find out the panna cotta is infused with non-decaf coffee. Fuck me, there’s going to be a very grumpy @PorkyBelly in the morning. Oh and I didn’t get much coconut from the coconut “ravioli.”

ezgif-1-079248137d97

almond jello because it’s fucking hotter than a howlin’ level sando outside
@NYCtoLA, @JeetKuneBao, @thecookie

13 Likes

we basically have identical impression of each course. :poop: :poop: :poop:

2 Likes

More gorgeousness.

1 Like

damn i wish i could order just that truffle crème caramel

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD91uK0AE9w/

4 Likes

This looks amazing. Any guesses at the asking price?

4 Likes

Smoked Swordfish Shoulder…

Sorrowful Swordfish Char Siu Fried Egg Rice?

@TheCookie, @J_L, @attran99

Down the Shore

For this week’s menu we’re digging into the Italian-American culinary traditions found on the beautiful shores of Chef Michael’s home state, the Garden State, New Jersey.

First Course: Marsden Brewer’s Young Sea Scallops Broiled on the Half Shell with Herbs and Garlic Butter

Main Course: Lobster Fra Diavolo with Bucatini, Calabrian Chili, Vine-Ripe Tomato, Basil and Olive Oil
Insalata Tricolore with Capers, Lemon, and Black Olive

House-Made Garlic Knots

Dessert: Cannoli - Dark Chocolate Gianduja and Fig and Ricotta

10 Likes

Had me at garlic knots

3 Likes

JoyZ.

3 Likes

En Voyage - Travels Back in Time - 2008

I’m going to call this report a FTC En Voyage Travel Back In Time… instead of My Report Is Late Because My Order Was Missing Items Again! :slightly_smiling_face:

Looks like a sufficient amount of ingredients, right?

We’ll get to what’s missing in a bit…

Nori Focaccia, House-Smoked California King Salmon & Labneh Schmear, Sprinkle of BYO-Salmon Furikake

I want more of this bread! It tastes like a sushi-ya smells when you first walk in the door. I know, sounds strange, but that’s what I got - lightly sweet, yeasty, starchy (in this case from baked bread instead of cooked rice), wafts of seaweed & ocean. It’s crumbly, but moist crumbly, not dry crumbly. So good. :hearts:

Lobster Bloody Mary - Maine Lobster, Herbs, Uncover The Missing Items, Bloody Mary Gelée, Tabasco Worcestershire Vinaigrette, Horseradish Crème Fraîche, Pickled Ramps, Pickled Calabrian Chilies

Yep, everything that makes Bloody Mary a Bloody Mary except Vodka which wasn’t promised. :slightly_smiling_face: I quickly made a sorta’ Tabasco Worcestershire Vinaigrette. Lobster was perfect and it was still a very good dish… just not a complete dish.

Dish Inspired by Chef Cimarusti’s winning dish from Iron Chef Battle Blackfish - Rockfish, Mussels, Manila Clams, Squid, Fried Eggplant, Braised Scallion, Thai Lobster Broth w/Coriander, Herbs, Coconut Oil, Lime Leaf, Lemongrass, Ginger, Garlic, Peppers

Perfectly cooked seafood. Mine didn’t have as much broth as @PorkyBelly & @moonboy403’s but there was enough underneath to sop up the fantastic lobster broth w/the nori bread. :blush:

Yuho “Eternal Embers“ Junmai (1yr aged)

I thought this would pair well with the nori focaccia, smoked salmon schmear & furikake. Nope, dish was too mild. But! the rich, acidic sweetness & flavors of caramel & dried fruit were the perfect pairing for the Thai spices & infusions in the lobster broth. @beefnoguy! :hearts:

Milk chocolate & Whiskey Panna Cotta, Baileys Ice Cream, Chocolate Coconut Streusel, Coconut Sphere

This is all you’ll see of my dessert, and please excuse the hole in my panna cotta… it was a mouse. Not really. A discerning friend was adamant that it tasted like coffee so I took a bite. Yep, coffee. I enjoyed the flavors, smooth panna cotta & silky coconut cream, but caffeine sensitive peeps would not have appreciated it. Remember @attran99 I was kinda’ excited about popping that “gimmicky“ throwback sphere. Well, by this time I was kinda’ done and just poured the ingredients and melty ice cream into the tin, popped the sphere and ate it. It was yummy. :blush:

And now… the reason for the tardy to the party reporting. A do-over! Courtesy of Providence.

The always classy, ever professional, Providence, gave us this… with Extra Lobster! They should seriously make this mistake every week. :hearts:

I kinda’ got liftoff this time @PorkyBelly.

Because I must put as many things as possible on Crostini.

A great dish - sweet, fresh, tender lobster, light gelée infused w/a punch of bloody mary flavor, worcestershire tabasco vinaigrette and the perfect garnish of herbs, celery leaves, tomatoes, pickled chilis, pickled ramps & horseradish crème fraîche! :hearts::blush::hearts:

Thanks Providence! Next-up, En Voyage Truffle!

19 Likes